Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My ducks wont stop laying!!!  (Read 5236 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
My ducks wont stop laying!!!
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »
Weird thing for someone to moan about BUT my first duck (mrs duck) has been laying over a year with only 3 days without an egg! I wish she'd have a break and relax! Thing is shes passed it on to my new young ducks and they are all coming onto lay aswell.

Will someone please tell my ducks its the winter!

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: My ducks wont stop laying!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:05 pm »
you dont say what type of ducks you have, I have Khakis that lay all year round and Alysbury (excuse the spelling of both) that have not laid for quite a few months

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:12:52 pm »
don't moan make cakes :-)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »
That's a really useful attribute, and if you have any interest in breeding then she is really worth hanging onto and using as a foundation bird, especially if the offspring has inherited the trait.  362 eggs in one year if not a world record would be very close  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:08 am »
That's a great duck to have  :thumbsup: one of my hybrid hens has layed an egg a day for 2 years now, I worry about her not having a short break but thank her every day for her egg as the other two the same age are hit and miss as to whether they will give an egg.
We are looking at getting more hens to keep us through next winter as we use lots of eggs weekly but I refuse to buy any when we have hens  :D

You have a few money makers there with fresh duck eggs to sell through winters  ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:26 am »

What's an egg?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
Shes an Aylesbury, the young girls are aslo Aylesbury and I have one Khakis aswell. If anyone wants any hatching eggs ;) Drop me a message!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »
That's a great duck to have and make the most of it! You never know when it is going to stop.

Funny how unpredictable they can be. I've had a couple of Campbells which I have never been that impressed by the laying of but I have a cayuga / Campbell cross who has out laid them all and still at 4 lays well into the Autumn ever year although she does take a break over winter now and starts up again in March.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:40:16 pm »
Wish mu ducks would start layin.. sure they are old enough and the drake is doing what boys do but not one single egg.. Indian duck pie soon  :roflanim:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:29 pm »
Oh my gods that is terrible, you must send her to me at once! ;D ;D

I would definitely be interested in eggs from her please  :eyelashes:

So far this year (in fact since end of October) I have had 3 hens eggs and a duck egg ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:47 pm »
I have found ducks pretty seasonal but in their first year, if hatched early enough they will lay through the winter. I have 1 who is laying like a star every day. The rest are no better than they should be with the boys and still eating me out of house and home!

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »
My 3 Khaki ducks lay an egg each almost every day, minimum I get is 2 since they all started laying in October.
I hope they keep it up.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »
mine seem to slow down over the winter according to their age but will pick up again later in spring. the youngest are laying even now.  :&>

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »
Don't do what I did last week then. My plan was to pluck a few youngsters but in my rush to grab one and cover it in a cloth I took a "mum" who has been laying for a weeks. We are down to just one laying muscovey now but at least the chickens are in full flow.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
Mine are the other way round to what I would expect - Aylesburys  are laying nicely all winter but the khakis have given up entirely. I'd also be interested in eggs from a good Aylesbury layer....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS