Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinating recently farrowed sows  (Read 1768 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Vaccinating recently farrowed sows
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »
Mine were due erysipelas and Panomec in Dec but I held off.  Can i do this now?
Thanks for your help :)

HappyHippy

Re: Vaccinating recently farrowed sows
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:15:22 am »
Since you'll have 2 litters to vaccinate, I'd do them alongside the piglets injections.
We do first ery vaccine either at 4 weeks or 6 weeks (depending on how organised we are  ::)) along with half our sows and the other half of the sows get theirs when the piglets get the second jab 4 weeks later.
It's Porcillis Ery we use (just in case it makes a difference)
HTH
Karen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:51 am »
You should really do them before farrowing as this would have given the piglets immunity too but do as HH suggests. We use Ery-P.
Amounts to be administered and administration route
The dose is 2 ml per pig, given by deep intramuscular injection behind the ear.
Allow vaccine to reach room temperature (15° - 25°C) before use.
Vaccination programme
Gilts should be vaccinated against E. rhusiopathiae and porcine parvo virus (PPV) before first mating. A single injection, not less than 2 weeks before mating is sufficient to protect the following pregnancy from damage due to PPV. For the induction of protection against erysipelas, an initial course of two vaccinations is recommended. This can be achieved with the single component erysipelas vaccine given either 4 weeks before, or 4 weeks after the administration of Porcilis Ery+Parvo.
Sows should be revaccinated against erysipelas during each lactation period (i.e. at no more than 6 month intervals) and against parvovirus annually.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
I'll do the sows then, we're just over the 6 mths so that's  :thumbsup:.      I'll do the piglets later....

(had a bit of a think doing the hoovering)
...The eryP has to be use fairly quickly once opened, doesn't it?.... so best doing all the pigs together. We have already double jabbed all breeding stock so it's just a case of keeping things ticking over.  I'll wait a month on that but do the Panomec now. 

Hadn't known about PPV -luckily we jabbed a month before the boar was put in with any of the sows.   

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:39:28 pm by Mrs Snoodles »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS