Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Top up milk  (Read 2204 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Top up milk
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
I will be leaving my ewe with her week old lamb for a few days next week and will leave their care to one of our friends who will pop in a couple of times each day. 

I have been giving the lamb 3-4 top up feeds each just to give her an added boost (you might recall that 'Mum' is only firing on one cylinder following a previous bout of mastitis). She only ever takes around 80-100ml tops at a time so I'm not sure she is particularly reliant on it.

The question is what to do about her feeds whilst I'm away. Should I completely drop the feeds for the 3 days or should I make up a bottle or two and get my friend to give it to her cold or reheated? I'm concerned if it is cold it may make her scour but if reheated it may introduce bacteria. I'd prefer not to burden him with making up a fresh bottle each day.

I know, I'm a fussy mother  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Top up milk
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:55 pm »
I happily reheat formula milk once only.  So if it were me I would leave 3 or 4 bottles in the fridge with foolproof instructions about how to reheat to the right temperature and feed and ask friend to offer one top-up a day, at least.  Or maybe one top-up on the middle day if you're bothered it'll start to go off by the end of the period.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:12 pm »
i would make up a pint in the fridge, get your friend to offer a bottle once a day.....if still only taking 100ml I personally would not bother ......if a ewe can very sucessfully raise triplets on 2 teats I'm sure one on one teat is plenty!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:16:13 pm »
I'd also leave several bottles in the fridge with instructions about how to warm them, so he can give a bottle once a day - I bet he'll love doing it, it's very cute feeding lambs  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS