Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ravelry help  (Read 11657 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ravelry help
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »
One of the things that helped me get started on Ravelry was to look at the groups my friends, and other Ravellers who sounded 'my kinda people', were in.  Any group hasn't had any activity in more than a month is unlikely to be worth joining.

Ravely is very very large, overwhelmingly so, and I don't think I know much about most of it.  I use the forums quite comfortably (although I know there are many things I haven't worked out how to do that would make them easier to use) and have managed to find patterns ok. 

I'd work harder at it if they'd implemented the support for spinning - it's brilliant for knitting projects but we all have to do our spinning-specifics in comments or off the computer.

However, I do often direct TASers to helpful threads on Ravelry (and occasionally the other way too  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Wyesue

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:17:12 pm »
Hi, I'm Wyesue.
I've been on Rav for a very long time, but only been a member here for minutes.... So I will need help here ;-)
After seeing a post from Sally I have started a forum on Rav called 'crafty smallholders UK'

No question is too silly to ask, How else do we learn things....

So if you want to learn about rav, please join up, (click on groups at the top, search on smallholder, Click on the group, then join group button at the top right)

hope to get to know you there and here.....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
I joined Ravelry a while ago, but also cannot find my way round it that well.... maybe will have another go, but actually probably will do some more knitting instead... just too big for my liking and although I am quite keen on my fibre stuff I also have a smallholding to run and so just don't have the time to do that many projects....

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:23:21 pm »
Searching groups sort of helps, key words of those things that specifically interest you. I also look at the profiles of people who seem to have similar approaches to life as me. Profiles show what group a person is in. I admit I have been scared off posting in a few now :gloomy:. but reading through groups even with out posting is valuable in its self and you dont have to join or participate to read. All the knitty patterny :knit: stuff is beyond me any way since I dont knit (yet) but I like the purty pictures  :eyelashes:

Down side .....not enough emoticons plus sides lots of tid bids of spinning info.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »
Thanks for Wyesue for JFDI'ing it and making a group for TASers on Ravelry.   :D

Here's how you get straight to that group.

If you want to tap into Ravelry but find it too large, overwhelming, unfriendly, whatever - post your query in the Crafty Smallholders UK group, and hopefully someone there can help you find what you are wanting in Ravelry.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 07:29:51 pm »
You never know Sally , i could be there already ! lol . Been on the net a long time now , and only in the last couple of years been using the mobile .
I am not though , my poor old mobile only just copes with tas !
So you can breath a sigh of relief , it will remain a rustyme free zone , for now , or will it ? ;-)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread, Sally.  I've just started getting a bit involved by joining two groups (about to be two more) although I registered ages ago.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:15 am »
Well it's lovely to be meeting up with some TASers over on Ravelry. :)  And hopefully we'll draw some smallholdingy Ravellers across here too  :)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:31 am »
 :wave: I'm Nanashimoriko on there.

I mainly use Rav for keeping track of my stash, my projects to do, the projects I'm working and searching for patterns. Mainly an organisation  tool for me. I used to use the forums, fairly local ones, but less time now so spending my forum time here.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Nanashimoriko That's my profile if anyone new wants to see how it can help with organising yarn and projects.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 06:49:31 am »
Wow Dans that looks really organised. I'm not sure I will get round to taking all those pics of my stash though, eventhough I don't have anywhere near as much as you do.
I must organise myself and at least add some of the recent projects I have finished.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:37:31 pm »
I'm impressed, too, Dans.  Is that your photo on there with the long hair?  Isn't it interesting how different people are to how you picture them.

I have most of my stash in big plastic boxes and did ut lists of the contents on the outside and on the door of the cupboard the boxes are kept in but never kept it up to date.  Maybe I should be better organised.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »
Ignore me. I've just seen your picture on here so know it is you.  Now why didn't I think of looking?   :dunce:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »
I did start when my stash was smaller and I'd just started knitting. I love rav for being able to look up so many different yarns, search the patterns and see how it comes out knitted by different people in different colours and different yarns (if you search a pattern click projects once opened and you'll see other Ravler's attempts at that project). But most of all for organising the yarn for me and telling me if I have enough left for particular projects.

The quality of my pics have gone down hill as now I upload pictures from my phone rather than the OH's fancy camera, but if I wasn't using the phone and the ravelry app it would have fallen behind long ago.

lol I know what you mean MGM you build up a picture then you meet the person and it can be very different.

Dans

PS open to making TAS friends on Rav

www.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 04:14:08 pm »
Ilove rav for being able to look up so many different yarns, search the patterns and see how it comes out knitted by different people in different colours and different yarns (if you search a pattern click projects once opened and you'll see other Ravler's attempts at that project). But most of all for organising the yarn for me and telling me if I have enough left for particular projects.I
Me too!
That's an impressive stash Dans  ;D

What I also like about Rav is that people say a bit about themselves and their family - sort of gets you a bit of background too. And I like seeing photos of people (and should therefore be brave and put one of me  ::))

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 04:22:58 pm »
noooooo you're all meant to say it's a puny stash and that you have a much bigger one and then I can once again buy yarn again!  :innocent:

Wow just noticed how out of date that profile is, was from when I had just started. Updated now!

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS