Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noromectin is it ok after tupping  (Read 2556 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
Noromectin is it ok after tupping
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:25:36 pm »
Hi all read us much as i can but cant find any guide lines re pregnant sheep and injecting multi use noromectin, i have a bottle used for the pig lice and its soon to go out of date and thought i would use it up on the sheep as a precautionary treatment if its ssafe to do so if they are carrying the ram was busy 2 weeks ago..
Thanks in advance.. :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Noromectin is it ok after tupping
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:29 pm »
Norbook Product Compendium p133.  Says it's ok at all stages of pregnancy and lactation but do not use in sheep producing milk for human consumption.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:31 pm »
Thank you very much for reply. :wave:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:41:38 pm »
Just to chime in here though, I personally wouldn't dose ewes up 'just in case' pregnant or not. Do you suspect they have parasites?

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:06:36 am »
I just noticed that your opening post states injecting - my apologies, the reference I checked was the drench for sheep.  I just turned over the page to check the injectable and it doesn't specifically state whether or not it is ok for pregnant sheep.  The active ingredient is Ivermectin and the NOAH datasheet for Merial's Ivomec injectable does state that it is ok for pregnant ewes.  However it wouldn't hurt to call or email Norbrook to check - and prompt them to update that datasheet to specifically state that it is ok for pregnant ewes.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »
Thanks again for replies.... there is a possibility that my pig has passed lice through nearby but not actual contact , Not sure if the lice are happy on sheep as there are on the pig, i  assume a mammal is there host.The sheep do love a right rub up and scratch but who dont... and as we rescued some of the sheep i cant be sure of there parasitic history...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:35:40 pm »
 Lice are mostly species specific so the pig sucking lice won't infect sheep. Hope you noticed that  treatment amounts are different   pigs  1ml -33kg   sheep  0.5ml-25kg  .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS