Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppy over sexed !  (Read 6744 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Puppy over sexed !
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »
Never had this problem before with any of my own dogs but we have a Chihuahua dog puppy that will be spending a LOT of time at our house.
He is 5 months old very well bred from show lines and will be getting shown once he is 6 months old.
Problem is he is seriously over sexed ! He has picked 2 of my dogs that he will try it on with at every chance he gets, One being the 8 month old  irish wolfhound puppy  ::)
I dont want to keep shouting NO because although it is a pain if he does well in the ring his owner will be using him as a stud
He has only been here for 3 days so I am hopeing things will calm down as he gets used to the place
Any Ideas ?

Graham

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Puppy over sexed !
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:13 pm »
It is probably more a dominance issue rather than sexual, He will settle down once he has worked out his place in the pack. If it becomes too much of an issue speak to a behaviourist for advice.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
Def dominance, can you distract him before he gets the urge  :innocent: take him away for a second or throw something. (not the dog :eyelashes: )
 A lot of young dogs jump ontop of other dogs to get power over them......the other thing could be a tiny spray bottle of water along with the NO!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:39:23 pm »
I did think dominance at first but he acts as though they are in season licking their back ends and winging nothing will distract him and if you take him away it makes him worse when he gets back in with them
when the wolfie stands up he just stands behind her jumping up and down trying to reach her  :-\
Its only 2 young bitches that he does this with, neither have had a season yet
Graham

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »
They may well be commng into season, I notice before our females have a season other dogs make a B line for them......so its the girls that are to blame for teasing the wee boy  :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:58:17 pm »
maybe, if its the Wolfhound, take away the steps :excited:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:44 pm »
My Great Dane bitch is acting a bit more frisky just lately - I am wondering if they are all going to come into season early this year?  Anyway it sounds as though he will make a good stud dog  ::)   

Sorry I can't be more help  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:36 am »
My thought was, "Well, yes - he's a Chihuahua and that's what they do, isn't it?"

If he's to be a stud dog I suppose you don't want to reprimand him for it, so I guess distraction before he jumps and humps is the approach.  Trouble is, I suspect that not many things are more interesting to him than humping...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:16 am »
If he's likely to be used a distraction is a better idea. Though, unless the other dog is getting upset, best to ignore it.
The thing about "punishing", saying no etc. is they will feel inhibited when you want them to work.
Chi's are randy little devils at the best of times!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:17 pm »
Have to admit that we have 3 male Chi's that come to stay and he is the only 1 that is like this the other 2 are perfect gents  and 1 of them is a proven stud.
Its because he may be going to be used that I dont want to reprimand him.
The wolfie could well be coming into season as she is being a bit hyper at the moment and thats so not like her
Graham

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:10 pm »
What does his owner say about this? She/He is the one with the responsibility to make the decision on how to manage him.  I have to admit reprimanding Allez for humping cushions has made no difference to how he reacts to bitches. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:11:21 am »
Seeing as the Owner is abroad looking after her termanially ill mother I think she has more to worry about than taking the responsability for her dogs humping
Graham

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 09:58:42 am »
Seeing as the Owner is abroad looking after her termanially ill mother I think she has more to worry about than taking the responsability for her dogs humping
You didn't explain that so please don't take offence. I am a breeder and would not accept behaviour like that in my stud dogs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
I think then you may have some ideas of how to stop the behaviour Anne, thats if you would not put up with it in your stud dogs!
I think like children, sometimes its hard to see a solution as how to stop a behaviour so we ask others for advice.
I often cannot see where I am going wrong but certainly can see when others are going wrong!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 01:17:07 pm »
I think then you may have some ideas of how to stop the behaviour Anne, thats if you would not put up with it in your stud dogs!
I think like children, sometimes its hard to see a solution as how to stop a behaviour so we ask others for advice.
I often cannot see where I am going wrong but certainly can see when others are going wrong!!
I gave advice. You will note that I reprimand my stud dogs - quote " reprimanding Allez for humping cushions has made no difference to how he reacts to bitches."  In other words I use the word 'NO' to great effect.  He stops humping cushions and is happy to mate any bitches as necessary.  I have done that for 30 years in breeding dogs. Never had a stud dog refuse a bitch yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS