Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stiff lamb disease  (Read 17340 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Stiff lamb disease
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:02:09 pm »
I had to take Lyra, our only ewe lamb, to the vet tonight. She's become stiff in her back legs. I though maybe one of the tup lambs had hurt her - she's the youngest and the other two are thugs.

The vet thinks she has "stiff lamb disease" or a spinal abcess - in either case, there's not much chance for her surviving. He gave her a cocktail of antibiotics and I've got stuff to give her tomorrow and Friday and she's to go back on Friday unless she's worse in which case, she'll have to be put down. It's caused by the same organism that causes Swine erysipelas.

I'm absolutely gutted. She's 3 weeks plus and a big strong lamb and I just can't believe it. Apart from the stiffness, she looks great.

Apparently the spinal abcess is caused by using rubber rings for tailing. I thought I was doing the right thing. I've never heard of this before.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Stiff lamb disease
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »
I'm sorry to read the news. hope things improve;
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »
Sorry to hear that Rosemary. I have not had or know of anyone who have had problems with the rings on the tail. How old was she when you put the ring on?
I hope everything goes well for her.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »
About four days old, so I was sure she was suckling well. In fact, i never saw her in any way affected by the ring.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:08:08 am »
I would ring my lambs also within the first few days and no later than 7, depending on how well they are in themselves, so don't beat yourself up about that as you have done it within the timescale and as far as you were aware she was healthy at the time. Lets hope everything works out o.k.for her.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:42:23 pm »
Very sorry to hear about your lamb. I've never seen or heard of tail ringing causing such problems.

One of my cats had a spinal abscess, caused by a bite from a feral. He responded to treatment well and is now fine.

Fingers & hooves crossed for your lamb  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »
Rosemary - sorry to read about your ewe lamb

what bad luck   yours couldn't be better looked after     

hope it turns out to be ok

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:32 pm »
Well, keep the fingers crossed - she's looking a lot better. Her right leg is still a bit stiff but she's walking almost normally and she can pee properly now - she couldn't squat earlier in the week. She's had more antibiotics today so we'll see how she goes.

Thanks for your good wishes - I've told her everyone's rooting for her.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »
Were the eggs OK?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »
cant see the problem being rubber ringing. our lambs are usually older than 7 days when we ring them and never any problems

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:35:37 am »
Thats good news Rosemary, lets hope she continues to improve what a nightmare for you.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 08:09:44 pm »
Annie, the eggs were fine. What was the blue one? Hope you haven't sneaked a duck in. She pushed one egg out  ??? but is VERY happy sitting on the others.

Kaz, Lyra got more antibiotics yesterday and she's almost back to normal today so findgers crossed that it's an end to this episode.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »
Good luck with the hatching Rosemary, good to hear that the lamb is improving. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »
Hope you haven't sneaked a duck in.

I put a note in with them to say I only had 5 ex batts and had put a duck one in.  If it hatches I'll have it back if you don't want it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:04 pm »
Will the duck egg have any chance of hatching when all the hens would hatch a week earlier?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS