Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg Colour  (Read 4141 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
Egg Colour
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »
This may be a really stupid question - but we are just getting started with some chickens at the weekend.  Can anyone clarify what determines the colour of the Eggs.  Is it breed or what you feed them or a combination of both
Thanks in advance

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Egg Colour
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:44:37 pm »
Breed, Bobby. I don't know much about hens, but in the UK the brown eggs are most popular, so most hens you get (Black Rocks, RIRs) lay brown eggs. I don't know which breeds lay white eggs. :&>

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:50:57 am »
leghorn hybrid white layers and a number of rare breeds. were trying to get a full spectrum of egg colours we have marams for dark eggs, legbars for blue and olive eggs and a number of others that lay white or cream, its all down to gentics. All eggs are the same inside so it really does not matter

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:54:19 am »
if you google hen egg colours you might get a list from someone. or try the practical poultry forum.
I get pale beige eggs from light sussuex, hybrids, ixworths and faverolles. darker brown eggs from marans and welsummers. white eggs from leghorn hybrids. pale blue/green eggs from legbars and legbar hybrids.
I just like to see a tray of multicoloured eggs. They all look the same in the pan.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:51:38 pm »
 Last time I went onto a poultry forum they said that eggs are always the same colour as the feathers under a hens ears!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:19:49 pm »
Would that apply to ducks, too? I wonder if the Indian runner has blue feathers under her ears, but I doubt it. I'll have a look if I get that close to her ,lol :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »
I'm off to check my girls now!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:52:23 am »
some chickens have similar coloured lobes as the egg they lay. ie minorca, legbar vorwerk. but my marans don't have brown lobes.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:41:14 am »
Hi Bobby

You find find this link interesting:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

My Minorcas lay lovely big chalky white eggs.  So do Leghorns and Dorkings (though my Dorkings lay an ever-so-slightly creamy egg with a bit of a shine  :chook:)

sanman

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »
Its funny that in UK the preference is for brown eggs as they are seen tobe more wholesome.  Whilst in the US its white as they are seen to be more pure ;D  I personally like a mixture of coulors from blue to dark brown.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS