Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seat belts for dogs - any recommendations?  (Read 8011 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Seat belts for dogs - any recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 06:18:04 pm »
Thanks  Andrewmbaine, I'll ave to remember to be extra careful if using a car not used before. Thinking our Clix isn't in place easily I'll use another means of restraint  :tired:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:38 pm »
PLEASE be aware that dog "seatbelts" are not safety tested - there is a set of scary clips showing just how awful a lot of them are at 30mph http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/

Having said that, some restraint is better than having a dog trying to lick your face at 50mph  ::)

You could perhaps try a crate wedged onto the front passenger seat?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
These look like they are done in America and the seat belts look quite poorly designed compared to some in the uk.

The uk ones I've seen are made of seatbelt material and design, unlike the videos on the clips from what I can see on them.
It is definitely better than nothing at all and possibly the only option for large dogs. I wouldn't like a crate getting loose and flying in an accident so is also my option for small dogs if you have no crate for the boot area. It can and has saved dogs and people's lives.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 06:06:10 pm »

You could perhaps try a crate wedged onto the front passenger seat?

Not an option in the van as it would block the passenger side mirror, and no mirror on the windscreen as it's closed to the back... You really do need to use both mirrors...

Will be ordering something soon, but need to wait until this months credit card bill is paid... :innocent: not that we've been anywhere with the van recently...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS