Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Veg to sell  (Read 6663 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Growing Veg to sell
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:21:30 pm »

We have used canvas/hessian bags in the past (before I worked here) but think there were issues with customers keeping them. How much do your bags cost and who is your supplier?

They are plastic carrier bags with a general organic imprint - will try and find out where they get them from. Some get returned and reused, most don't. The problem is if you mix the type of packaging (i.e. boxes as far as it goes, rest bags), you can't stack them in the van... So it's either/or at any one time. All depends on how many you have to deliver etc!

Smallholder Sam

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:03 pm »
just out of interest how much veg can you fit into a box that small?

2kg taters, 1kg carrots, 0.5kg onions, plus x amount of 2-4 other types of veg (beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, cauli, leeks, mushrooms, parsnips...). That's the mid-sized box. We're continuing to use bags and larger boxes for smaller/larger deliveries.

Simon, thanks for the input. I hadn't considered Ikea bags - ideally we wouldn't go down that route as we (a charity) have environmental objectives which lead us to favour more sustainable products than plastic where possible. However, considering they're so cheap and re-usable, it's something I'll chat to my colleagues about.

Best cardboard box supplier I've managed to find is on Ebay - 350 boxes for £168. Next best is 1000 for £500.

Smallholder Sam

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 01:49:52 pm »
They are plastic carrier bags with a general organic imprint - will try and find out where they get them from. Some get returned and reused, most don't. The problem is if you mix the type of packaging (i.e. boxes as far as it goes, rest bags), you can't stack them in the van... So it's either/or at any one time. All depends on how many you have to deliver etc!

Thanks Ina, that would be appreciated.

We already mix and match packaging but we have shelving in the van so stacking isn't so much of a problem. We do a fairly high volume - 120 a week - but managed to fit £600 worth of fruit, veg and salad in the van the Friday before Christmas so s'all good.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:51:27 pm by Smallholder Sam »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
From the environmental point of view - plastic bags are actually said to have a lower carbon footprint than paper... Counter intuitive, I know, but there you go! A lot of the veg gets packed in plastic, anyway (chard, salad leaves etc), as otherwise it simply wouldn't keep until it's delivered.

From the veg box schemes I know of in Germany, they seem to manage with a box-for-deposit system. Maybe they have their customers under better control... ::) Here it seems a problem just getting them to pay for their veg!

Smallholder Sam

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »
From the environmental point of view - plastic bags are actually said to have a lower carbon footprint than paper... Counter intuitive, I know, but there you go! A lot of the veg gets packed in plastic, anyway (chard, salad leaves etc), as otherwise it simply wouldn't keep until it's delivered.

From the veg box schemes I know of in Germany, they seem to manage with a box-for-deposit system. Maybe they have their customers under better control... ::) Here it seems a problem just getting them to pay for their veg!

Aye, I realise things ain't so straight forward especially if you look at the lifecycle of any given type of packaging! Fortunately we have no probems getting people to pay - we do cash on delivery for most customers so if they don't pay they don't get their produce (some exceptions when it comes to long-standing customers).

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 02:53:03 pm »
Wouldn't work here as most people are out when the stuff gets delivered. But I think they have been far too lenient with bad debtors over the past years... We are working on it!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS