Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptvac jabs  (Read 3608 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Heptvac jabs
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:19 am »
Hi,
Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all :wave: :wave:

Not sure what to do - last year I gave all  (eight) girls their Heptavacs on the 1st Jan as they were all due to lamb begining/mid  Feb.

This year due to one getting caught by one of the ram lambs (thankfully not one of her boys, they had already gone to market so not related) so I have ONE due in the next couple of weeks and the other THREE not due until March.

When do you suggest I give Heptavac - if I do all now as annual booster then they (3) will be beyond the 4-6 weeks.  To buy a bottle for 1 jab is expensive (not that I'm a meany, (I haven't found anyone local doing their ewes, all either  now lambing so too late or not doing them yet as they aren't lambing until March/April....)  Or do I wait until 1st one lambs then do her and the lamb/s at three weeks which will be right for the others 4-6 weeks but then they will be over the annual time so would need another one 6 weeks later.....could do with a sctach your head icon here......

Any help will be gratefully recieved
You are never to old to learn something new

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Heptvac jabs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:44 pm »
I wouldn't have thought it's that critical if they're a few weeks late on the annual booster.
If you use good hygiene and seal the bottle with selotape and keep in the fridge it 'll be alight to do one now and the others at the right time in Feb.

I'm no expert, just what I'd do.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »
The smallest bottle you can buy is 50ml so you will have 25injections.   SO I would  inject all 4 ewes now , 3 for a second time late feb , hopefully 6-8 lambs twice so a max of  23injections.  Use new needles , allow no air into the bottle, seal with cling film and keep at the right temp.  This only my thoughts and i know there has been many discussions about how long to keep heptavac or similar. :raining:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:44:52 pm »
our vets response when we asked about Heptavac was to ask around and see if anyone had any lying around as we didn't need all 25 doses but we ended up buying a bottle anyway and keep it in a fridge.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
Hi, thanks for replies so far.

It's been going round and round my head all day - there's seems to be so many different thoughts on how long the vaccine lasts once opened, with many differing opinions including some vets who say okay to keep the needle in and use as draw off/reseal and keep in the fridge - others who say use with in the 10 hours - it's all so confusing.......!!!!

I was trying not to stress the ewes with giving two injections but thinking it over I think its will have to be the way to go, I do have four other ewe lambs (shearlings for tupping next this year) so they will get into the anual programme this time aswell so thats a further 4 jabs from the bottle.

I wonder just how much air gets in once you've pierced the seal. I do have the gun you fix the bottle to, I wonder if that is 'more' air tight.... if I use that would wrapping the whole gun and bottle in cling film and an airtight plastic bag keep it okay in the fridge

Again opinions vary on wether you should/need to vacinate the lambs at 3 weeks, some people say they do some don't...!! Vets seems divided  on this as well...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »
If the gun is the one that the bottle fits upside down on top of, then it is air tight  and putting in a sealed bag should work , if it is the type connected by a tube then it works by bleeding air into the bottle , so not perfect for long term use.  Needles can be bought for less than 10p each off the internet, so you could use a new needle each sheep, keep the syringe closed so no air ,enter bottle draw off 2ml  ,inject sheep ,throw away needle. :raining:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:46 pm »
A vet at our usual practice did say to me to throw away any unused immediately and not to keep it.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:35 pm »
Hi,
Found someone near to me who could give me a 'freshish' dose (she did hers last week-end) for my one ewe so taking a chance and have it in the fridge for tomorrow.

I'll do the others in a couple of weeks with a new bottle and then keep for the new lamb/s should all go well and she lambs okay.  She has had a 'bit of trouble' at lambing - think her cervix doesn't open up easily and usually has to be manipluted (up to now a experienced sheepy friend has helped out - but must do it myself this year - whimp that I am...) Think it maybe called 'ring womb' ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:09 am »
If it's ring womb you won't open her by manipulation and would damage her severely if you tried to lamb her through the constricted cervix.  You would need to get her to a vet.

With first-timers one sometimes has to manipulate the neck of the cervix to help it dilate - just use your well-lubed and very clean fingers to keep pressing on and rubbing around inside, it should dilate gradually as you do so.  As the lamb's head starts to come through, continue to gently and well-lubed up assist the flesh to stretch as the head passes.  Normally this doesn't need doing again with the same ewe next year, but maybe this one has a particularly tight cervix for some reason.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 02:19:26 pm »

With first-timers one sometimes has to manipulate the neck of the cervix to help it dilate - just use your well-lubed and very clean fingers to keep pressing on and rubbing around inside, it should dilate gradually as you do so.  As the lamb's head starts to come through, continue to gently and well-lubed up assist the flesh to stretch as the head passes.  Normally this doesn't need doing again with the same ewe next year, but maybe this one has a particularly tight cervix for some reason.
Hi SITN,
I think you are right - for some reason she seems to have a 'tight' cervix, this will be the 4th  time of lambing for her, 3rd with me (she came with twin lambs at foot).  1st time I didn't have a clue but thanks to a friendly lady down the lane who knows a lot more than me about sheep... She manipulated and ewe had two strong ram lambs.  Last year similar situation but not so bad, she needed a little bit of help (friend again) two more very strong ram lambs, so I'm hoping that this year she will do it on her own - will obviously be keeping an eye on her as don't want her to strain herself as she is a wonderful mum.  I've learnt a lot in the last couple of years so hopefully if needed I shall be able to do the deed - if I'm stuck (or the lambs are...) my friend is just a phone call away.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS