Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age to heptavac/worm lambs?  (Read 8732 times)

Advertisement

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
What age to heptavac/worm lambs?
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:28:01 pm »
Just starting to get ready for our orphan lambs again, one farm we had some off last year lambs during January. I know we were a bit late heptavac'ing and worming our lambs last year, can anyone tell me at how many weeks you should heptavac orphan lambs?
Also we were slightly late worming ours last year- we treated with combinex in July time (which was fine for our lambs but OHs sisters then grew too big as should have been slaughtered earlier but couldn't due to withdrawal period), so again how old should they be when we do first worming?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:48:14 am by Dan »

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: What age to heptavac/worm lambs?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »
This year is warm and wet - I wouldnt be in the slightest bit surprised if there were still worms about - I had high counts in Dec and have seen nothing to make me not have another done soon. If I were you I would do fecs at 8wk intervals.

You can give heptavac as soon as you like because they wont be getting any immunity from their dams.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »
HEPTAVAC  states any time after 3wk's of age, don't forget to repeat 4-6wk's later . Either get egg counts done  or start  dosing  apr/may  as the weather warms up . Why use a combination fluke and wormer on lambs mid summer , withdrawal 56 days,some wormers are only 6 days :raining:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »
Brilliant thankyou. Yes I remembered they had to repeat the heptavac :) We used a combination one because the last 2 lambs OH's sister raised the year before were flukey. Our lambs were fine in that they weren't ready to go until early Oct anyway, but OHs sister didn't really look after hers properly hence why they weren't wormed or fluked earlier- we did hers with ours (raised on calf milk powder, little creep and copious amounts of corn, and she didnt want to heptavac at all) and turned out quite fatty when slaughtered... one way to learn how NOT to raise orphan lambs (consequently she lost 2 this year!).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS