Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ? A Rooster.  (Read 7944 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: ? A Rooster.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:56:40 pm »
He is a good looking young man :love: .
Sorry if its been said already, but you do know your water drinker is upside down in the pic  :innocent: . Did you do it deliberately to see if any one was paying attention  :roflanim: .

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »
hes not a rooster, but he is a cockeral  ;) ;)  there are no roosters in the uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:05 pm »
He is a good looking young man :love: .
Sorry if its been said already, but you do know your water drinker is upside down in the pic  :innocent: . Did you do it deliberately to see if any one was paying attention  :roflanim: .
Maybe about to fill it?  It's a lot blooming cleaner than mine and I wish mine had a handle  :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

the great composto

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »
Harry - technically correct but its always good manners to communicate in the other persons terminology.
Otherwise you may find yourself in thr trunk of your car or kicked to the sidewalk :innocent:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »
Good technical point Composto. Is the forum allowing American English or any other languages in discussions, or do we just use common sense Harry, to avoid upsetting anyone.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:38 am »
He'll roast up lovely :yum: :yum:
Oooh Sylvia! Wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!!! ;D

jackstarfish

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:05:00 am »
Maddie did you manage to re home your cockerel? I have just joined after finding this forum whilst desperately looking for ways to re-home my own buff Orpington cockerel.

He's 6 months old and has started crowing at 5.30am every morning. Now this doesn't bother me, but neighbours aren't so happy unfortunately. Im heartbroken at having to let him go. He came from our first attempt at hatching our own and is very much part of our family, my kids adore him.

I just wondered how you got on with yours? and if anyone else has any useful advice I would me most grateful

the great composto

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:03 am »
Hi Jackstarfish  - where are you located?    As you can see from my picture i have a buff cockerel who is a fine chap and we hatched him ourselves so we wanted to keep him (and breed from him - not very successfully!).

After trying several methods of keeping the 5.00 crowing to a minimum i trained him to sleep in a cat basket which we then pop into the garage overnight so nobody hears him ( not even me). He gets let out at 8.30 in the morning & seems quite happy with the arrangement.

Problem solved.....   Unless the neighbours complain about him crowing during the day.  :innocent:

jackstarfish

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
hi TGC

Im in Lancashire. Loving your idea with the cat basket!! No garage here unfortunately. I have 2 sheds but they wouldn't provide any more sound proofing than the coop. I do have a spare coop and a handy husband so Ive been looking at ways to sound proof it for now

I wasnt looking to breed from mine. I just love this breed and wanted to try and hatch our own. We got Buster, the cockerel and a hen and they are an absolute joy to have around.

the great composto

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
I dont see why a shed couldnt be sufficiently soundproofed with a bit of effort so good luck with that - they are amazing animals to keep, as you say beautifully tempered and beautiful to look at.

Mine has 4 lucky ladies to look after but aftet several hatchings has only really produced 3 offspring ( sold very easily though)

I was interested in your location because his performance makes me consider the possibility of  replacing him but the distance is a bit much ( i am northampton).

jackstarfish

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 12:06:34 pm »
Oh thanks so much for your replies TGC. You've already given me some ideas I would never have thought about! I'll get my hubby on the case this afternoon. If I can keep the noise at an acceptable level It will solve the immediate problem. That being my neighbour who has complained to us not so much about the noise, but it being so early which is fair enough, I suppose

Buster has 5 ladies to look after but Im not sure they feel so lucky at the moment. Our oldest ones have been around for alot longer than him and don't seem very amused by his advances so far!! He's our first cockerel so Im guessing if we do manage to address the noise issue and keep him things will settle down in due course. He is a big softy though and we love him to bits.

I will Definately be sticking around on the forum. There's loads of useful info on here, Im glad I found it.

Maddie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Inverbervie
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 09:48:32 am »
Thanks everyone....  I am pleased to let you know he is now happily rehomed  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS