Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milk production post-mastitis  (Read 3137 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Milk production post-mastitis
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:05 pm »
The mum of my little festive lamb was never supposed to go to the ram as in the previous year she had a bout of mastitis - she however had other plans and sought him out having missed out on raising any babies earlier in the year.

Anyhow I now have a question, I had assumed that due to the fibrous matter in the affected udder that she would not produce milk on that side but it appears as though she has.  The milk has not however come down to the teat and, so far, I have been unable to hand strip her on that side. The lamb is suckling well on the good side and occasionally I see her briefly at the bad side but I am not convinced she gets any milk from the affected side.

I am now concerned that the ewe will get a further bout of mastitis on the bad side and already I think it is slightly warmer and firmer than the good side. I will get on to the vet first thing in the morning so I have antibiotics etc. at the ready 'just in case' but am I panicking prematurely and will the milk just get reabsorbed?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Milk production post-mastitis
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:37:56 pm »
Nope....any sheep i have had in the past like this the udder swells a bit on that side but nothing comes out and nothing should go wrong....keep an eye just in case as sheep never fail to surprise!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48:57 pm »
Thanks woollyval - it's just a bit scary as I don't want the udder to slough off or for anything to happen to the ewe as with no other ewes due to lamb for another 3 months I need Mum to keep feeding baby.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:11:53 pm »
I would be fairly confident of no problems, occasionally a ewe gets mastitis  during tupping and is never noticed until lambing, sometimes milk mostly nothing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:44:55 pm »
Do you know any goatkeepers nearby? Most of us will still be milking a few goats through the winter (and probably be happy to sell you some top-up milk for the lamb, as there is not such a great demand on our own farms just now). I would be inclined to get the lamb used to come for the bottle too for a top-up, just in case mum's other side doesn't produce enough and/or will go down soon.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »
Do you know any goatkeepers nearby? Most of us will still be milking a few goats through the winter (and probably be happy to sell you some top-up milk for the lamb, as there is not such a great demand on our own farms just now). I would be inclined to get the lamb used to come for the bottle too for a top-up, just in case mum's other side doesn't produce enough and/or will go down soon.

No, I don't know of any goatkeepers in the area but I have been offering the lamb a bottle every day and so far she hasn't been interested - so at the moment I guess she is getting enough milk. I will continue to offer her extra feeds just n case Mum can't keep up as the lamb gets bigger.

I got some antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for the ewe from the vet this morning 'just in case'.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »
Don't worry at all HP...I have had one sided ewes rais 2 lambs ok.... :relief:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS