Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drenching guns  (Read 3558 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Drenching guns
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »
Where is a relatively cheap supplier of these?  And is there a big difference between plastic and metal, apart from price?  I had a plastic one which stopped automatically refilling, I'm assuming it was the seal or o-ring or whatever internal parts it uses!  If the metal ones have much the same setup is it worth paying the extra for them ...  ???
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Re: Drenching guns
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:55 pm »
Like most things - you get what you pay for.

We stopped stocking the cheaper versions some time ago as they had so many problems.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:01:19 pm »
So are metal much better than plastic and which brands are best?
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:32:24 pm »
I hate the expensive metal 'clik' ones or similar, never seem to draw the right dose. I have a cheapo mooe valley one and I love it. If it stops dosing properly - take the back off and smear a little cooking oil on the o-ring.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
I hate the expensive metal 'clik' ones or similar, never seem to draw the right dose. I have a cheapo mooe valley one and I love it. If it stops dosing properly - take the back off and smear a little cooking oil on the o-ring.

I agree with Steve...!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
I have both,  metal for dosing only, plastic type for dosing and pour -on's, every one gets cooking oil before during and after use .  The plastic one's last  1 month to 1 year, my oldest metal one is 15 yrs old , you can buy  o-ring kits for all types.  Wash out after use and keep lubricated :thumbsup:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:51:58 am »
Dont you find that the metal ones take ages to draw through and soon start 'bubbling' meaning you have to go and strip the thing down?

Maybe the one I had was faulty, but I have developed a real hatred of the thing, having to adjust the dose halfway through dosing after I have noticed it isn't doing it properly, leading to paranoia about how many have been underdosed, plastic one seems to draw through quick (useful when doing hundreds) and I now dont have to worry too much about volume of dose .

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:25:36 pm »
Bubbling is normally the fault of the feed pipe rather than the gun, when dosing away from home i always take 2 guns just in case . If metal guns were a lot slower to fill then i woudn't use them, 500 ewes in 4hrs allows for no hold up's :raining:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:16:00 pm »
Would be typical if my dosing gun rage could be cured by a 20p piece of plastic tubing...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS