Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Commercial pig farmer wants to go rare breed!  (Read 12491 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Commercial pig farmer wants to go rare breed!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:28 am »
I also like Oxford Sandy and Blacks and would be tempted to keep them, but would find out about their meat quality v fat content first.

My first pair were OSBs.  I still have Meg-pig but we ate Gaby.  Sent her off at 7 months, 60kg deadweight, 19mm back fat.  Taste and succulence of meat the best we've had - mind it was that autumn where there were mountains of apples, she had plenty of them and her meat tastes ever so slightly of apples - sufficiently so that I never bother to make apple sauce when we're eating Gaby! :D

So on my very limited experience, I would say yes it's worth trying OSBs.  Very hardy, very very nice pigs to handle, don't get too fat if you manage their feed - they don't need to go above 4lbs cake (or equivalent) and do not need a high protein feed.  Tiva Diva can tell you a lot more, and with a considerable amount of experience  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 12:03:45 pm »
goose pimple hit the nail on the head .The cost of feed and diesel is the killer .Put the wether in that's 3 things that's bad most pig farms have gone in the last 12 months done cornwall wether good but sales dawn .So i dint no .I would bet that not 1 pig raised in Scotland has a prophet .The feed has doubled this Christmas pork was dawn .Morison's sold legs £10 my Friend Carnot beat that so he wont do pigs for Christmas again .Tesco sold beef cheap so imported food is still winning very hard situation.Christmas has changed pork was cheap up till december people dident wont cheap meat and they dident wont turkey ether .In scotland i would of said salmon beef turkey goose and remember im about at these christmas sales .

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 02:02:23 pm »
PigmanDan ...hi there, I'm in Suffolk and I very thankful that we don't have the same weather troubles as elsewhere.  The middle and north of the county, along with South Norfolk is where the big pig businesses are, largely due to the Breckland ground, which is part sandy and well draining.   It's known as the triangle.
The downside of our area would be the cost of land. Probably not as pricey as Oxford area but as the vast majority of it is used by arable farmers and what is for sale tends to be very large acreage.  There are small fields available, but these get quickly snapped up by horsey people who will pay over the odds for paddock land as there are restrictions in place about turning fields into land suitable for horses.   We are also aware that land is often sold privately to neighgbouring farmers to add onto existing acreage (we tried to buy some a while back and got shafted this way, big time).

What the local estate agents are now doing is Getting a big field and dividing up. It makes money as small
parcels, particularly near to villages are not so easy to find.

The average acreage price on big parcels of land is about 7 grand For smaller bits ..... Well, I know that a couple of acres went for 25 recently :(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »
Hi Dan
I live about 12miles south of Middlesbrough near Stokesley so know that area well and as Mr Pig alluded you need to aim for an affluent area if possible, the north is pretty grim at the mo on the job front and with the likes of george Bolams selling half pigs for £40-£50 its blooming hard work. i only hobby keeppigs and do pork 2 or 3 times a year to a select few. Market research tells me at the moment there just isn't the market for it round here.
I keep GOS by the way but a good dual purpose pig would be the saddleback, tammies are good for bacon so i understand.
anyway whatever you decide to do or wherever you decide to go, best of luck
Mandy :pig:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »
Bolams selling half pigs for £40-£50 i dont think that eney small holder can beat this if its you re living it has to work most have the money and dont need to make a prophet and that's not farming .You have to break even but thats not good enough for some farms .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 07:56:25 pm »
Get a plan B.  Get a second property preferably - a smaller house for you and family and put the rest on something you can get an income from - 'glamping' is getting big in Britain now - a glorified shed or caravan for glamorous camping - it brings in an income so when you have a bad year you have something to fall back on that isn't livestock based and the outlay isn't enormous.  All farmers are looking at incomes from secondary sources especially after these past few years of dreadful weather.  I wouldn't consider smallholding anywhere if we didn't have a source of other income, it's just too small a margin between holding out and ruin.  Sorry to sound so bleak.  Must be the weather (again), it may be an easier option where you are already or maybe try to keep some obscure ancient piggy or other livestock that you can sell for a lot of money as a sideline to something more commercial Dan.  Sorry don't mean to burst your bubble, I have bubbles all the time and my OH usually makes me see sense  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:37 pm »
GOOD DAY GOOSEPIMPLE and Happy new ya re well i think we should PAC up and go to Spain or  France i didn't work Christmas day but boxing day done 4 hour es and to day cleaned the yard and done a pen .So a new pen being built this week end .Have you had a rest ,Christmas day a wast of time would loved to of done some think .well winter still ha sent got going .I did say it would start the end of January which is 3 weeks away .I just hope things get better i still ha vent sold my lambs from last ya re ,price not good enough .

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »
Well we reared 3 OSBs t
In 2012 and sold the meat in boxes at £7 per kg and £9.60 per kg for joints so made a tidy profit plus a freezer crammed with meat. On a small scale if you can get a client base and quality product people will pay. I was embarrassed charging as much as we did but my ex had no problems asking for it and I had no complaints.

Would love to have more this this year but sadly need to find some suitable ground.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 10:07:21 pm »
That's a shame just when you wont to go for it

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 11:34:13 pm »
Pigman perhaps  have a look at farmland for sale or small holdings for sale in Wisbech / March  North Cambridgeshire or Norfolk area to see what you can construct your dreams about .
 You can always use google earth to see the geographic locations as to likley foot falls etc .
 Perhaps look on line for local papers as well , to start finding land agents in areas your interested in  etc.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 07:27:07 am »
 :wave:

I have often seen properties in the south of Lincolnshire too.  It hasn't been too bad here (apart from the  :raining: ).  If you get the right area the soil is very fertile (and if you don't it's like rocky sand on solid rock, so guess what our first area was  :roflanim: ).

Also, most of it is flat!  ;)

PigManDan

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:14 am »
Wow guys, just got in from work with my 3000 piggys and find there have been a heap of replies through the day! Thank you all so much for putting down you're thoughts.

I'll give you all more of a broad view of what I want to do.

Farming run of the mill bacon pigs means it near impossible to make a profit, its all done through volume rather than profit per kg. I mean we wean over 1000 piglets a week and still dont make a heap of money as a business, and this is in Australia where fresh meat imports are banned, if you want to buy fresh pork it has to be Australian, thats the law. So even without the competition from imports its still hard to make a buck.

However, in the UK where imports are huge and can be very very cheap because of the production systems used in the rest of europe, all the million euro liquid feeding systems that make FCR fantastic. They do not however have the flavour of meat from  Tamworths, OSB, GOS or any other rare breed pigs. So this is really where you have to create you're own market. If you were to compare a pork chop from a PIC line C29 mass market pork production pig to that of a rare breed pig there would be a clear winner. This is really where I want to make my market. I want to make people realise how much more flavoursome this product is compared to the pork we all accept as 'top quality'.

The problem is the cost, people may well know how much better the product is but they simply cannot afford to choose this meat over that of the cheaper more economical choice, especially in the current financial situation. So what I intend to do, through both low cost production methords and selective breeding to increase productivity of the sows is try and produce this rare breed meat for a cost close to that of the run of the mill pork. The main barrier to this of corse is the productivity of the sows. PIC, JSR or Keffen have bread these super productive animals to get the 13 and 14 PBA litters, producing more pigs using less sows. I think that its possible to get a rare breed animal, keep the bloodline pure yet still manage to breed producivity into the animal.

Look at the way PIC started, they took a batch of sows and recorded PBA, if the sow managed to have a littler of 12 perfect piglets twice in a row her piglets were selected as breeders, and so on the cycle continued. I think there is a possibility of doing this.

So to be able to bring fantastic, pure bloodline, rare breed pork to the market at a more competative price I think it will force people to re-think the age old dilema, quality over quantity.

This is a long long term project for me and I have been working towards it for many years, 10 years infact, when I was 16 and really got into the production side of pigs. So I have been saving to be able to support this 'pipe dream'

In th meantime I plan to do other things, as you have said in the comments to support the farm. We want to grow veg and do a pick your own kind of thing, the farmers markets for our pork and other value added products such as pies, sausage rolls and other dishes made from pork. There has been money made from educating todays children on what farming is. Running educational days on the farm, doing school visits with animals and so on. It breaks my heart to hear these stoires from teachers and community workers where young children are asked where things such as eggs, milk, cheese and meat come from and they answer they give is Tesco or Asda. My 4 year old son has more of an understanding of where his food comes from than some kids twice his age.

I cant thank you guys enough for the response my original post as got, I never thought I would meet so many people who are as passionate, if not more, about pigs than me!

You all need a pat on the back for keeping these rare breeds in our country and keeping the farming dream alive or so many others.

Maybe you can all come and work with me and we make it the biggest co-oprative business in the world! lol

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:14 am »
I expect I am being very thick, but I would be fascinated to know what PIC, line C29, JSR, Keffen, FCR and PBA mean - not abbreviations commonly seen on this forum.   Have found this post very interesting but would love to understand properly what Pig Man Dan is talking about - Tamsaddle

PigManDan

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 09:56:52 am »
Sorry! got my commercial pig farming head on! I'll explain:

PIC are a gentic improvment company who supply bloodlines used in commercial breeding herds (there full name is Pig Improvment Company) the C29 is the Camborough 29, PIC's latest and greatest product. JSR and Keffen are the same, genetic improvers of commercial breeding pigs.

PBA is pigs born alive, as in now many live piglets per litter the sow has

FCR - feed conversion ratio - i.e how much food is needed in KG to gain 1KG of liveweight

Hope that explains it all okay?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
The problem is the cost, people may well know how much better the product is but they simply cannot afford to choose this meat over that of the cheaper more economical choice, especially in the current financial situation. So what I intend to do, through both low cost production methords and selective breeding to increase productivity of the sows is try and produce this rare breed meat for a cost close to that of the run of the mill pork

and so put the rest of us doing it small scale out of business! ::) ???

There is one farmer near me in Harrogate supplying GOS pork to M&S, he has 800 pedigree GOS sows, which is half the current GOS numbers in the UK, it will be very interesting to see how this venture progresses and if it is sustainable or if M&S decide to pull the plug!
Mandy :pig: 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS