Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Energy sources - where to begin?  (Read 8891 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: Energy sources - where to begin?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:16 am »
im still on this energy thing my self iv build stoves im naw on number 5 i can get the pawer but 6 bags of wood a day this is the new 1 iv built its a copey of a jotul but much bigger the steel is scrap trawlers from peters head .I sell them for work shops but i have high hopes on this model the ash pan and grate wont burn through it has a 3rd burn so bafel plate has to be just right .The back boiler can be eney size depending on tank .

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:55 am »
I'm still going round on this tbh. Biomass was back on the table due to RHIs - still huge start up costs (marginally lower £50k). But now we can't work out where the pellet store would go. Planners are not happy to have an additional building for it, pellets can't be blown more than 20m (which is a pity because otherwise we have the perfect option for boiler house and pellet store). So tricky....Would like to try and do it but it's like leaping after hurdle after hurdle.

H

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:00 am »
I'd like a log boiler linked to an accumulator. Means you can grow your own fuel and the accumulator means you don't have to keep it running all the time.
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 08:49:00 pm »
We have an oil boiler (new, self build house 2010) - house insulated to the nth degree, dual coil water tank to allow thermal solar panels to heat the water when it can - this has a big effect on bringing down our oil costs (1000l lasts 18months)
We collect rainwater - we have a 7000l tank in the ground behind the garage. We collect the water off the barn and garage roof. We use the water for loos and watering. If we were doing it again we would have 2 x 7000l tanks - mind you we were told that a 3500l would be fine for the 2 of us but we decided to double the size of the tank considering we were digging the hole in the first place. It's been great knowing that we aren't wasting expensively produced freshwater watering plants and flushing the toilet. Our water is supplied by South West Water - the MOST expensive provider in the country so we are very happy with our rainwater collecting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS