Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hmmm.... What now!  (Read 2770 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Hmmm.... What now!
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:47:28 pm »
I've decided to try plying two  full bobbins of wool that I've spun over the last couple of months. I was shown how to do this a few months back and seemed to be doing fine tonight until.....

... the plying bobbin is full to bursting but I've still got half a bobbin each of my unplied wool  :thinking:

Looking on the net. I see there are large bobbins for plying. No good to me now! I'm stuck in the living room with a wheel in front of me and a lazy kate attached to the bobbin on it via the two single plies  :innocent:

Do I now cut the cord or is there something I haven't been shown yet as to how to continue plying on another bobbin withou breaking the wool??

Any help greatly appreciated ASAP. I really don't want to move anything or do anything drastic and find it was the wrong thing  :eyelashes:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Hmmm.... What now!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
No, you do have to cut it and carry on on another bobbin if you have one, or wind it off and continue on the same one.

I only ever ply onto my normal bobbins, I don't have special plying bobbins.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:55 pm »
Thank you Jaykay.

I'm still sitting looking at it waiting for advice.  My notification hasn't worked  :rant:
I'll cut it and restart my plying tomorrow.

Thanks. I do feel bit dim about not thinking of two bobbin lots not fitting on to one  ::)  but at least I can wrap the yarn away now without the worry of dogs and cat pulling it all out   :-*

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:28 pm »
I find that plied yarn takes up slightly more space than the singles of the same weight, so I ply the first bobbin to look a bit fuller than the singles did.  That way the second bobbin won't be overfilled.   I suppose it happens because the plied yarn is more fluffed up/bulkier than the singles, which has more twist.

I have never yet managed to spin two bobbins with exactly the same length of yarn on, so when you ply, expect to have a bit left over on one bobbin.   Have fun.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:33:49 pm »
Hmm yes FW that makes sense,
Thank you

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:50 am »
I find you can spin in a second lot of wool when the first runs out easily whilst plying.I add more untill the bobbin is full, cut it, Un-wind it onto mt hiddy noddy then tie the cut end onto the leader and keep going, adding more wool to whichever ply runs out before the bobbin is full!
 My wheel is old and the bobin does not come off easily so when its full of the first spin I wind it off into a ball and then ply it from two balls on my lap. Probably not at all correct but it works for me. My latest project has me plying some bought in red stuff (from car boot) with my home spun. Im making a chunky jumper from the result and so far I think it looks OK(washed well as spun & plyed stuff)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
I think I'll give the joining a try and see what happens  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »
I treated myself to a 4-speed sliding hook flyer for my Traddies and Traveller, which comes with a much bigger bobbin, so I use that bobbin for plying - it takes more than 2 singles from the standard bobbin, in fact I can almost get 3 singles on when I do my 3-ply.  (3-ply doesn't take up one-and-a-half times as much space as 2-ply, just a little more.)

I would cut it, wind it off onto the niddy noddy, then ply the second halves.  You either have to join while plying or while knitting, and I don't mind splicing yarn while knitting.  (But then I have a large bobbin to use in the first place. ;))

Have you been told about washing the wool to set the twist?  I usually let it sit on the niddy noddy for 24 hours, but that's not essential, then (having tied it in a few places so the strands remain ordered through the washing process), wash, snap, beat if required, dry, then wind into a ball for knitting.

Shout if you need descriptions of any of those stages!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »
 :o I forgot about the washing to set it  :o. I'd better unwind my other ball and re niddy noddy it. I haven't done this lot yet. Lots of niddy noddying and washing nxt then  ::)

Just waiting for delivery of my niddy noddy and hand carders as Santa couldn't find them in any shops around the north east and didn't know where to look on the Internet. He apologised and replaced these items with an egg incubator  ::)  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »
:o I forgot about the washing to set it
Thought you had  :)

If you can find an old chair, take two legs and a cross-piece, twist one of the legs 90 degrees, makes a perfectly serviceable though rather cumbersome temporary niddy noddy  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS