Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plucking and prepairing geese.  (Read 7529 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Plucking and prepairing geese.
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:20 am »
Hi,has any one got any experience of plucking and preparing geese in larger quantities.
This is the first year I have processed geese in any quantity and I've got to say it was as absolute nightmare.On the advices of others and from what I have read in books and the Internet,I dispatched them,hung them for a week in my cold store.I then rough plucked them removing the flight and tail feathers by hand,then the top feathers on a bingam plucker.I then dipped them in hot wax set to 80C aloud them to cool then picked off all the wax with the down this in its self was a lot harder than I expected the wax broke into small pieces and took absolutely ages to pick off.
All in all each bird took at least an hour probably more like an hour and a half.Even with help the most I could manage in a day was 5.With turkeys and cockerels to do as well this made things very difficult.

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Plucking and prepairing geese.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
We have a plucking machine that looks like a table with rollers that you drop the birds into. Got it from Ascot and it has been a blessing. We do fine finish by hand though as if you get too keen with plucking machines they tend to rip the skin. With the geese you can seer the last of the bits off  by quickly skimming over the bird with a  blow torch, VERY CAREFULLY!. You must be careful to kill when the feathers are not quilling as they do at the end of Autmn, they are ten times easier to pluck then.
Before we got the machine, those who wanted a goose came to a plucking party, plucked their own with the aid of a bottle of the good stuff! ;)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
Hi,do you have to scold them first with your machine.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:25:56 pm »
I dont know if you can or not but my OH always does them dry, outside so it looks like a snow machine.  ;D

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »
Hi,I bet there a feathers every where,how long dose it take him.

Graham
Graham.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:51:59 am »
I could not tell you that he just disapeared into the barn for a couple of evenings and 17 where done. That was steady rate not rushing for orders etc as we eat all our own meat through the year. Turkeys and geese are all year here.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:35 am »
Hi,its the same here,but it sounds like you man really has got the knack for geese doing 17 in a couple of evenings.
Are you sure he isn't scolding them first this would make the feathers come out a lot easier.

Graham.
Graham.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »
Nope he hates wet feathers. I suppose most folk kill on a time scale , we kill when the feathers are right on the live bird, ie not quilling. It really does make things an awful lot easier.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »
Wow,I'm going to have to give one of these machines a go,I take it is the type with the rubber fingers.I have some of these I will have to try and make something.

Graham.
Graham.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:32:38 pm »
I got some brilliant stuff from France: it's rosin/resin but can't remember the make.  Rub the powdered stuff into the feathers, plunge in really hot water for about a minute, then into cold to set it and pretty much pull the feathers out in handfuls.  It worked better on ducks than the geese, but I think I was a bit abstemious on the breast down and will be more generous next time. 

Made an easy job of it, where as before, I'd have prefered to keep my geese for eggs.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:28:17 pm »
if for your own consumption why bother to pluck them, just skin them and joint them into 2 breasts, thighs legs neck etc hardly any waste but no crispy skin but also takes about 15 mins per bird , get a boning knife.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 05:43:53 pm »
have a look at my new posting ANYONE TRIED THESE

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:51:40 pm »
Hi,but these weren't for my self the were for Christmas sale.Hence why I need to improve things for next year.

Graham.

Graham.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:37:08 pm »
i know what you mean.... i had several to do one year and the few old boys that did them slowly packed it in even the last one i used stopped that year. so i did as well, that was 5 years ago.... if these gadjets work i might start doing a few again this year

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »
have a look My $ 20.00 chicken plucker Homemade might need a 50 gall drum for geese

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS