Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EGG  (Read 3152 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
EGG
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »

This autumn was the first that our hens stopped laying completely for several weeks.  Yesterday we had our first egg for ages, then today two more  :excited: :chook: :yum: :hungry: :thumbsup: 

Those nights are definitely drawing out  ;D 8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
Re: EGG
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »
Hello,

It's always the day after the shortest day when they start laying for the new year here, at least that's how it has been last two years running now. Rhode Island Reds I think they are called, those chickens out back there.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »
Strange isn't it. Our Light Sussex started to lay again on the 22nd of december after about two months rest.

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »
Just to add mine to the list -
they had all stopped for about 6 weeks then just before xmas I was getting one a day (wasnt the same chicken) and then after being lazy on xmas day itself they produced two - i am glad i am not the only one cos i thought it was a bit odd.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »
Oooh, I've yet to have an egg from getting them in September. Thought it would be a couple more months but maybe there's hope!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
I thought that we would have no eggs through this winter ..... older hybrids and pure breeds  ...and was tempted to buy in a couple of new hybrids because I am allergic to buying in eggs. Resisted the temptation and for a few weeks only had 1 or 2 eggs per day. Hens seemed to have heavier moults this year and looked a bit rough. Went up to 4 eggs and after worming them we have gone to 8 eggs per day.  :excited:  Usually we have to wait until the longer,warmer days to get that number. Have been able to give away eggs to neighbours ..... their hens aren't laying at all.

We have lots of pheasants here and I wondered if they were carrying a heavy worm burden. Worm twice, spring and autumn at the moment but think I'm going to try 3 times per year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:31:52 am »
I'm going to say it very quietly, in case that also affects their laying (like too much rain, wind....) but mine are keeping me in eggs again now........ :chook:

But that's a point ITH, I have three sacks of Marriage's pellets sitting there - mine need worming too.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »
Mine have been patchy all month, I'm down to 2 eggs a day now from 5 hens (all <1year old). :(  And now one of them has started moulting, great! :S
I think they are just protesting about all the rain. :)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »
I seem to have been very lucky this year, I bought 4 POL white leghorns late autumn and they started to lay before the winter started.
I also have another 6 white leghorns that were due to have their first moult this year, out of the 6 only 3 seem to have moulted the other 3 are still looking grubby and in need of a moult.
On top of the 10 leghorns I have 1 RIR, 2 black rock/Nera and 2 cuckoo marans, the marans are this years birds and have been laying sporadically. Through the winter I have had around 6 a day from the 16 birds, but the last week I have been getting between 8-10.
Today when I went to lock them up there were 13 eggs there, 10 from the leghorns and 3 from the others.

That's as good as I've had in the summer  :) .

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »
oooh, we have eggs too!
very excited (sorry, but I am!!) to think they are "back" after a long winter break :D
Little Blue

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:07 am »
We've got a pen of 14 RIR that are a mixture of older birds ans about half a dozen of this years hatch. The young birds are laying quite well now and are being trodden regularly so I'm going to do an early fertility test this week.Worth a try I reckon.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:20 am »
I still get one duck egg a week, they stop completely just about when the hens get going again. I am really glad we have both hens and ducks although the family does feel a bit starved from November onwards  ;) . It literally was Christmas day when we had the first hens' egg of the season! 2 today - more to come if they keep up the good work and not start eating them or hiding them again, fingers crossed! :&>

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »
Mine started laying again at Christmas.  I thought it was just because someone told them what happened to the turkeys, so they thought they'd better get their act together.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »
One of my hens is going through the moult from hell So no eggs for a month. The other one gives an egg every few days. But our White hybrid still gives an egg a day and she is coming up to two years old. I worry about her health more than the other two. How long can a hen keep laying continuously before becoming exhausted?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »
Hybrids don't live as long as the old purebreeds, for just that reason.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS