Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac p plus  (Read 7749 times)

Advertisement

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Heptavac p plus
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:00 pm »
Just bought some Heptavac p plus and read the leaflet. It states it has to be used within 10 hours of opening. Just wondered how critical is it? If vaccinating for the first time, they then need to be done again 4 - 6 weeks later. I've only got 4 sheep seems very expensive if I've got to buy another bottle. I wondered if I could actually store the opened vaccine and use again in 4 weeks time?
Thanks
4 pet sheep

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Heptavac p plus
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
If you check under Lambivac / Heptavac in the goat section, some solutions to this problem were discussed a while back.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »
Personally for me, having lost a good beast who had been vaccinated properly I wouldn't risk the chance of a vaccine fail by using any that had been exposed to the air more than 10 hours.
Yes a bottle cost £20 but my dead wether cost me an awful lot more with vet bills and the knacker man's fee.
But I do tend to be Mrs doom and gloom now on this subject :gloomy: ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »
We wrapped ours in cling film and foil tightly and stored in the fridge, was fine...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »
I have been known to fridge vaccines too.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:30 pm »
I  with colliewoman. This is something that you are relying on to work, so abide by the instructions on the label - keep refrigerated at all times and use within the time allowed. I know some people say they have got away with keeping it longer but I think in the large majority of cases you won't have a problem anyway so you won't know that the vaccine didn't work. I wouldn't risk it.
Also shop around, get the best price you can - I think the best price I could get it for was £19. Alternatively, find someone to share it with.

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »
Underestimated the amount required this year and went to vet who gave me a bottle that had already had some doses withdrawn and it appeared to work OK. So as it isa dead virus you are injecting I would withdraw by syringe a couple of doses more than you need when you need them cover the botle in cling film and use again when required. Cleanliness is of course paramount and I feel the 10 hour rule is just to make sure it is kept within acceptable temperatures.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »
These vaccines are developed to be used in a field/barn situation and the manufacturer has to state a time frame so that they cannot be sued....

If you use a single sterile needle, withdraw into the syringe and then keeep the initial needle in the bottle for next dose etc etc, do all your four doses into different syringes in your house before being in the field, them immediatey place tape over bottle and put back into fridge... better still if you plan longterm and get an injection gun, store that with bottle connected in the fridge... obviously no guarantees that is doesn't fail, but to be honest you never have that...

If you calculate the risk for 4 sheep over a period of a coupe of years... that's quite a few bottles at 20odd quid a go.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
Personally I dont think its worth the risk. Its not just your ewes your protecting but also the lambs in the first few weeks passed in the milk. If your ewes cost anything like mine, it would hit my pocket pretty hard for the sake of 40 quid, only a tenner per head and giving the lambs the best start its got to be worth doing it correctly.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »
If you amend the post to say where you are, there might be someone on here who will be willing to share. that's what we did when we had three ewes  :thumbsup:

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »
The most important thing when working with medicines is storage anything that has been pierced with a needle will let air in so when you do store it always wrap your bottles in cling film as to stop the air getting in

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:10 pm »
If you amend the post to say where you are, there might be someone on here who will be willing to share. that's what we did when we had three ewes  :thumbsup:

Thats a good idea of Rosemary's.... sharing vaccines,we sahre other stuff as well,wormers etc

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:58 pm »
When I had my first 5,  the vet made up five individual doses/syringes think it cost me now more than £6
Now I buy a small bottle and then clingfilm and fridge.
Sheep

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:36:29 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I've now found someone to share the vaccine with, so that's good. I agree that actually it's just not worth the risk when you're trying to protect your sheep.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS