Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat mineral lick  (Read 10476 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Goat mineral lick
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:01:24 pm »
Where do you buy yours from? Does anyone use bicarbonate of soda? I only ask because it seems the popular thing on YouTube  thanx in advance :thumbsup:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Goat mineral lick
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:23 pm »
Bicarbonate of soda? And what minerals does you tube say it contains?

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »
It doesn't just says feed grade bicarbonate of soda and they give it there dairy goats ????

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »
Never heard of that.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »
Mine get Yellow Rockies in their pens, if you know that you are in a copper deficient area you can use the Red Rockies.

You get them in the horsey section at ther merchants.

I also use other suppplements, like garlic, seaweed powder and caprivite, about once a week durning winter, more Caprivite when milking in mid-summer.

Never heard of bicarbonate of soda being used. Wouldn't that just make them burp, and no useful minerals in that one. If you look at US/australian websites they may mention Dolomite, this is a natural form of ((I think and it's too late the cross-check) and Magnesium and Calcium Carbonate. Also contained in Caprivite.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »
It is a couple of US sites that use bi carb... Obvious not in use over here?? I don't know.. Just asking.. perhaps it is as good as red rocky but feed merchants don't want us to know because its cheap ??? I really have no idea ??

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:23 am »
Lots of goat keepers in the US free feed bicarb to help keep the rumen pH levels correct I believe ;)
I was curious so opened up a pot I nicked from the larder and held it out for my girls.....
Gill would have eaten it all if I had let her, the others weren't interested :D
I have a cattle mineral block tied up for mine, but they rarely use it.
The minerals from Dennis Brinicombe are fab, you add it daily to their food so's you know how much they are getting :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:33 am »
have you looked at the goat nutrition site (GN Ltd) they are really popular with alot of goat breeders.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
I think the bicarb only has certain things in it, I use it in case of bloat but that's all.

Otherwise mine get Caprivite (which they will now eat neat) and a red Rockie in their byre. I can keep it away from the sheep, who don't need the copper in red ones, whereas goats do.

I've used the Brinicombes mineral too, which is also good, it's just that my goats prefer Caprivite.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:19:00 am »
We found that caprivite didn't meet the needs of our land (ie we were cobalt deficient) but Adam Hensens did - only found out as the milk tasted bitter. Its trial and error I think with minerals, you have to find what suits you/your goats.

I also have red rockies permanently available for the goats, a yellow for the sheep - and never do they get in with each other.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
From what I found bicarbonate of soda is only really useful for regulating the stomach ph. It may be cheap, but other than salt, it doesn't contain any useful minerals.

Ours have access to red Rockies, and we also feed seaweed ( in granules) and we have a bag of copper cattle minerals we offer to them as well.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:12 am »
Have a 25kg bag of Sodium bicarb here - its for making bath sherbet and I misread the order page, only wanted 2.5kg hey ho  ::)  Did come in useful for making up an antibloat combo for one of our bottle lambs, bit of ginger and BURP! other than that, I've just used it in bath sherbet...lots of bath sherbet...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:15:08 am »
I use Rockies and get them from ARGO FEEDS, £3.60 each I think.

Richard
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS