Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping goat and how to restrain  (Read 5616 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Limping goat and how to restrain
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »
I have some Terramycin so will give her some tomorrow. Can anyone tell me whether you inject in similar spot to sheep? They seem so bony and a different shape. I've  got some footrot spray so could try that. If I can enlist some help I can eat a proper look.

My shelter is now half assembled and if wind doesn't flatten it hopefully roof will be on tomorrow  :fc: :fc: :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »
Antibiotics are (as far as I know) always injected best into the muscle, so I just get mine onto the milking stand and wack the syringe into their upper hindleg towards the bum, just where it is quite fleshy. As they are usually having a wee treat at the same time it is all over quickly...

I would check with the vet about the dosage though, you will need to have some idea of her weight. Not sure if goats get the same as sheep, but I think they do. My vets don't charge for phone calls.

If you have got someone to help, having her tied up with a bowl with food and that person in front of her you should be able to have a closer look (and sniff... :o ).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »
I just checked in the goat vet book, it says NOT to use Micotil (a really good one for footrot in sheep) in goats, as injections in goats have been fatal. Just in case your vet suggests it, mine does use it in sheep.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »
Oh help! I will have to phone vet in morning then before I give Terramycin. Have given two egret ant ewes metacam over last few days and just read it shouldn't be given to pregnant mares so not sure if this is also sheep. Helped one ewe just hope hasn't affected lambs which are due in About 5 weeks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:11 am »
Terramycin is used in goats but it's never a bad thing to check anyway.

The terramycin foot spray is the thing to use here though, unless the foot is beyond dreadful and it's gone systemic then anyway. If it's not too bad, spraying the foot will treat it without any side effects of injectable antibiotics.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:42 am »
Definately DO NOT use MICOTIL or the related TYLAN in goats.

A friends goat died when a vet used micotil injection.
My vet suggested tylan for a foot problem in my angoras but couldn't get any info from the makers about if it was alright for goats so decided against it cos it's related to micotil.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »
Vet came today as limping sheep no better. He had a dig and couldn't find too much just tender and loose bit of horn.

Damned expensive foot trims as he couldn't find anything on ewe. Reckon she was making a HUGE fuss about nothing. Every time we looked at her she hopped on 3 legs then when we turned our backs she was standing on all 4!

Not all bad though as he removed in growing horn on my other goat with cheese wire. Amazing how simple it was and luckily hadn't broken skin.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »
here is a picture of the milk stand we made from the plans we used a pallett
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »
It looks good but difficult to see exactly what you have done. Presume you have cut a pallet down, put piece of board on top and screwed some legs to it? Have you got a head restraint? I think mine at moment would try and jump off/over front if nothing to stop them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS