Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats are eating the stable!  (Read 5812 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Goats are eating the stable!
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:16 am »
Just discovered that the goats have started chewing at the stable door, I have some creosote, would it be ok to paint it with that?
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Goats are eating the stable!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:14:50 pm »
I may be put right but I didn't think creosote was animal friendly - maybe your thinking it will stop them chewing but it may be a loosing battle - they do love chewing!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »
As they cannot be outside at the moment I think they are bored -I know mine are... and have just managed to break one of the dividers betwen their pens... >:(
You can try them some fresh branches, they will chew the bark off them for a bit, but they have 24 hours a day to decide what to chew next...

I wouldn't use creosote where they can chew though...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:38:24 pm »
No, I wouldn't use creosote, it won't stop them eating it but it will make them poorly.

As Anke says, it's a combination of boredom and lack of things to chew. Cutting branches is a good plan - i'm reminded to do it when I catch mine eating the gates, the chicken houses........ ::)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:35 pm »
Hubby is chopping at the hawthorn hedge as we speak
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
Hubby is chopping at the hawthorn hedge as we speak
Better go attack mine then, didn't think creosote would be an option. :-\
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:59:33 pm »
They'll soon have their hooves full Anne - are they getting plump?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »
I've smeared goat poo on the bits they were chewing and its put them off and as yet they've not found somewhere else to chew  :fc:  I had little choice as they'd made a hole in the side of their shed and OH is getting antsy about livestock causing him work  ;)  Lots of braches, access to mineral lick, dried nettle or willow....

(just realised how very ladylike I must appear smearing poo on shed doors  :innocent:  )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »
 :D Good idea though  :thumbsup:

(and I'm sorry about OH getting antsy, I had one like that and it's stressful  :-*)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »
To be fair, he's getting much better! But I hate asking him to help - we had a mini domestic when the vet came to put our lamb to sleep with me saying "I can cope!" and him accusing me of potentially going to pieces and insisting that he did the deed  ::)

I'm just wondering if there is something available to buy that might satisfy goat urges to chew like you can buy for pet rodents? The poos smeared has definitely worked here but realistically, I can't smear it everywhere so I think its  shortlived remedy. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:15:39 pm »
That's very amusing. I must try on pony shelter see if it works there. My now 'ex' (didn't like playing second fiddle to livestock) said the first thing he remembers about me if being covered in poo! I was foot trimming and shearing at the time so not surprising.

Not sure I should dare say it but none of mine chew. Are they just highly trained or is it the breed?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 05:50:52 pm »
What breed are your, SG?  My Sanaans chew the shed walls and door and the fence.  My old girl who died in February liked to chew the metal roof of the shed just outside their run.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 05:55:14 pm »
I have 3 grade 3(?) boers, 1 white one, 1 AN x and 1 tog type milder. Only thing they chew is my jacket if they smell nuts have been in there. Oh and my fingers! Didn't realise how they could nip! My little AN is so gentle and my sheep but the other goats will take my hand off for food.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:03:42 pm »
Oh dear I dont think that it is the goats, I think we have rats in the stables, this is the first time they have been on the yard since we got an outdoor cat. :cat: It must be this awful weather bringing them in.

Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »
Oh yes maybe Anne, my pygmies don't seem to eat their shed but there are rats about at the moment.  Don't use the compacted/extruded rat poison, they move it around and livestock could get it, we just use the grain type in boxes - good idea to put a pallet down if you can and the bait box inside it so the goaties can't get at it but the rats like the pallet for cover.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS