Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More idiot breeders and owners  (Read 3382 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
More idiot breeders and owners
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:30:26 pm »
A friend of mine just sent me this story - unbelievable! ::)

"I was reminded today how many people out there should not have a dog of any kind. I went ferreting this afternoon with Robbie and was at the end of the road when a Siberia husky with no collar came tearing round the corner of a road! No collar and owner. It was a bitch I managed to grab her and tied to a whistle string I had. Then in my utter disbelief a male husky came round dragging its right leg and running along the road. 2 guys passed and said it was hit by a car and there wasn't an owner. The dog was in bad shape but couldn't get it. Called the police and found the house who’s it was. The bitch was returned and the young lad didn't seemed concerned at all, he took the line of her and she ran straight back out the gate onto a road!!...Don’t worry thee lad said shell come back tonight!!...The police were called - I was not impressed.

The husky a dog with a high prey drive and running one also a lot of work indeed. Why oh why! Do breeders breed and even sell any dog to idiots who just what it for show! When you buy a pup its family and you are responsible for all its life, that’s training healthcare and all else. We need legislation. Rant over!"

I understand the Police didn't respond.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: More idiot breeders and owners
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:19 am »
Some people just do not take animal ownership seriously at all, do they? its shocking. We see several loose dogs around here, some have been hit by cars and are still not kept securely!
I remember the day Jinglejoys goats were attacked (and some killed) by loose akitas, she said that the pair of dogs then mated so more would be on the way... :rant:
Police just don't seem interested in some areas. When our lamb was killed by loose GSD's they didn't even turn up, just dished out a crime number.   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 11:04:21 am »
I remember picking something up from Freecycle and they had a lot of dogs, they lived in a built up area but not far from a park and I commented on how beautiful their Yellow Lab was, their reply was " yes, shes a good dog, we just let her out and she takes herself for a walk then comes back, unlike the others that often get brought back""  that's how some people think, I used to see some beautiful pedigree dogs owned as status symbols but never let out their back garden or never let into the house!!!!!
I am afraid some people buy on a whim, without any thought at all!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:35 am »
I am afraid some people buy on a whim, without any thought at all!!
I'm sad to say that I think some people nowadays see all sorts of animals as something they can have when they want to and dispose of when they get too big/destructive/noisy/hassle. Then, instead of looking at what went wrong and readjusting their behaviour they go and do it all again  :rant:
There's no commitment to finding out about them (either before or after they buy them) and the poor animals get the blame for not fitting in with the owners plans or lifestyle  >:(

Huskeys are a beautiful breed of dog, absolutely stunning and I can understand why people would be attracted to them (Akita's too) but surely anyone with any kind of sense knows they're not a family pet type dog  ::) A quick google search tells you they need to be 'worked', they need an escape proof garden and they need firm control from experienced and dedicated owners - people either aren't doing research or just aren't thinking properly.
Putting your desire for an animal over it's need for certain conditions and care which you can't provide is just downright selfish, and it's the breeders who sell into those types of situation that cause the problem IMHO.  :'(

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »
I must admit I have always loved huskies but after a visit to Aviemore to the race there and the opportunity to speak to several owners we decided it wasn't the sensible choice for us - owners told us they should kept on a lead or they could run the beach from Cruden Bay to Stonehaven before you could get to the car!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »
One of our guests wanted one of our labs but we sort of lied and said it was sold as they were not the type to take a dog for walks unless it was sunny and then only around a park so I did not really want them to have a big active dog like ours are, well, they went and bought a Malamute, they did not have it too long before it had to be re homed, now they have a miniature Terrier that can go out in a handbag!!Dogs like Akita's, Huskies etc are meant to work and unless you are a skilled dog handler, they should not be off lead...they are nearly wild and I love those type of dogs too, as pups they look adorable but reality needs to check in with some people...we can all make mistakes but we need dogs that match our lifestyle not our wallpaper!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:23:03 am »
I know a middle aged couple,not very active who bought a Springer pup. I questioned their wisdom and was told "But Springers are so well trained" ??? ???
It turned out they had seen a gun dog demonstration featuring a perfectly trained Springer and imagined they were born this way  ::)
They wouldn't listen to any advice re. training etc. and,guess what? Within six months they were asking me to find a home for him.
I contacted the breeder who,surprise,surprise didn't want to know. He didn't come from working lines so homing him wasn't easy but we eventually found him a good home with an energetic young family.
The person who bred him didn't care about his future,just the money, but what to do? They hadn't broken the law in any way. I get so cross :rant: :rant:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:16 pm »
Me too Sylvia.  I know I keep banging on about people who breed for cash, but it really annoys me.  I know some people take great care of their pups and bitches they breed from, and do the health tests before breeding, but Joe Public is not generally aware of who these are - how that can be improved I don't know.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS