Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our poor dog got zapped.  (Read 2890 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
our poor dog got zapped.
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
Our poor little Westie literally got the shock of her life this afternoon. She loves visting our elderley neighbours and in particular Deek ( a large Collie) chained up in the out house. But today we walked a different way and she visited the neighbours 2 Jack Russels ( used for hunting) who are kept in an out house behind a wire door. Maddie visited the caged dogs only to discover that their wire door had been linked to the cattle's electric fence.
Dogs kept in our part of rural France all seem to be caged up but an electrified wire door seems a bit harsh for a trusting indoor English dog that just wanted to make friends.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: our poor dog got zapped.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:49 pm »
Oh, poor love  :-*

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:26 pm »
Oh bless her. Does seem a bit extreme.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »
Poor dog, an electric door sounds a bit ott and harsh :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:42:29 am »
Erm, playing Devil's advocate here - why was she on their land?  If the JR's were in their own area and wired to prevent them going hunting they would be used to it.  I don't advocate cruelty in training but if it stopped them going missing there's a reason for it and your dog was trespassing.  No offence, MAK
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »
Yes - we were actually delievery them a few eggs when our dog visited the shed door that was wired. She certainly was a sight to see running away and gave my neighbour a laugh.
People are not so hung up on land ownership here and given the villages pecherie is just outside their dogs cage it is unclear where the yard starts. But who cares. No fences or farm gates here and certainly no signs saying "Private" - "tresspasers will be prosecuted" . Fields used for cattle grazing have a wire between posts but otherwise, legal or not, everyone accepts that people can walk the fields respectful of crops or livestock ( even when hunting). So much friendlier than the Uk.
Away from larger villages you can always spot the isolated Brits homes as they put a fence around the garden and buy a gate despite being in the middle of fields on a minor track. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »
Ahh your poor little dog MAK, she deserves extra pressies from Santa  :love:

Our labs have always been sensible enough to stay away from the wire, not even trying it. All my working cockers have been zapped though.  One just barked and snarled back, the other ran off and will now not get within 50m of the pig paddocks and my other cocker cried and cried and cried. He was such a state.  Learnt though  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:28 am »
Yes - we were actually delievery them a few eggs when our dog visited the shed door that was wired. She certainly was a sight to see running away and gave my neighbour a laugh.
People are not so hung up on land ownership here and given the villages pecherie is just outside their dogs cage it is unclear where the yard starts. But who cares. No fences or farm gates here and certainly no signs saying "Private" - "tresspasers will be prosecuted" . Fields used for cattle grazing have a wire between posts but otherwise, legal or not, everyone accepts that people can walk the fields respectful of crops or livestock ( even when hunting). So much friendlier than the Uk.
Away from larger villages you can always spot the isolated Brits homes as they put a fence around the garden and buy a gate despite being in the middle of fields on a minor track.
Sorry, MAK, my apologies, I forgot you were in France when I wrote that, I remember what it's like in the countryside over there. Very relaxing and easy going.  But all my friends have their dogs penned as they are a hunting breed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS