Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can I plant now ( screening )  (Read 3383 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
What can I plant now ( screening )
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »
Hello

I need to plant a huge amount of trees and bushes to screen some of my land.  Before spring I planted over 80 birch trees and around 100 willows ( in a wet damp part of the land.  I want to continue with planting now, but realize the season limits me a bit.

I have just over 2 kms to do. I have a width of 3 metres to plant stuff in so as to screen the property.

Any ideas ? Ideally quicker growing and cheap. Some of the areas are dry, some wet.

thanks Kevin

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: What can I plant now ( screening )
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »
hawthorn, beech and hazel do quite well here for that purpose. Some elder trees for berries! :&>

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:32:50 am »
thanks. I have some very young hawthorn bushes that are in the bottom field. I just thought they were so slow growing..I am difficult at times !
Kevin

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:01:16 pm »
Really fast growing I found are Ash, Rowan and the Acer family, but as they get so big you will have to be radical in keeping them low as a screen. Here Hawthorn is no different in size than the beeches in the hedge, all planted at the same time. Never plant sloes, their runners are a real pain! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS