Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to Neuter?  (Read 3149 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
When to Neuter?
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:12:36 am »
Hello again!

:wave:

We have a lovely little black kitten (devil with pointy needles) called Gizmo.  He is 13 week's old and has been with us for two weeks.  Apart from the continued arguments between him and out 13 year old cat Sam (a girl) and the joy of an excitable greyhound  :dog:  thinking the kitten is a racing training device, all has gone well.

We are now thinking about neutering.  I have never had a kitten or puppy before (always adult rescue's) and our main hope is for Gizmo to become a hunting machine.  In his kitten stage, he seems a very good candidate, but I have no idea how this will develop, or if neutering will reduce his interest in hunting.

Our old cat is spayed and isn't interested in hunting anything she can't eat.

Any advice welcome  :excited:

:merryxmas:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to Neuter?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:09:52 am »
Neutering will have no impact on his hunting ability - well, except for a day or two  ;) We've had brilliant hunting neutered males including our Bertie. Can't remember how old he was when he was neutered - older than 13 weeks but not much more.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
mt pair of neutered males are lean mean killing machines, they sleep all day and kill stuff all night!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »
Yes neuter. Gizmo will still hunt just the same but if not neutered his mind will be on other things than hunting  ::)  and he may father unwanted litters, fight and also stray. Can't recall age at neutering but ring your vet and they will tell you. Only a little op for boys.  ;D ;D ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
Most vets will neuter from appx 6 months. It will not affect his hunting behaviour at all  :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
We have recently acquired a kitten, now about 16wks old, I asked the vet this question and she said around 5/6 months or when his nuts are around marble sized! Have to admit I can't bring myself to check  ::) he's back at the vets for second jabs on Thursday so ill let her do the honours  :thumbsup:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:28:13 pm »
Think the youngest they can do is 4months, which some vets do. Think up to 6 months is normal.

I'd check with your vet when you go for vaccinations.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

furandfeathers

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
we neuter everything before re homing providing its big enough they can normally neuter as soon as they hit 2kg our little lad was done at 15 weeks at home but his sister 7 months as she has brain damage and is tiny, ours is still a hunter a nasty one at that and stalks anything in a cage indoors as he doesnt go outdoors :)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:53:07 am »
I second everyone else, we had two kittens, male and female, had them both nuetered and they both grew up to be amazing hunters. They have been known to take down rabbits and pigeons aswell as the usual! Best rodent control!  :thumbsup:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:21 am »
As a vet, I can definitely recommend neutering, like others say, stops fights, unwanted litters, and the chances of him straying to find a lady friend, which is the most common reason for car accidents.
Personally, I would neuter once he reaches a certain size rather than age, and as long as he's reasonably well developed, and has large enough testicles to get hold of, then he's ready to do, as you say, let the vet have a check when you are in next on Thursday.
There is discussion in the vet fraternity that early neutering before puberty can mean less risky surgery as the blood vessels etc have grown less, and so the risks of bleeding are reduced. However, smaller animals can lose heat quickly, so we tuck them up well with hot water bottles and warm blankets while they are being operated on and recovering. Young animals are particularly tough and resilient, so normally are up and bouncing around very quickly!
Hopefully he'll get done soon and then it'll all be over, and he can become the fantastic hunter that you require!
Suzanne

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:02:47 pm »
 :wave:

We had Gizmo done last week.  Fit as a fiddle when we brought him home, didn't even notice they were gone.  Really glad we had it booked in as soon as he was over 5 months old.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:59 pm »
From experience, I do not have my cats neutered until as late as possible. This is because of the possibility of Struvite Crystals.
Once neutered feed only food suitable for Sterilised Cats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS