Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scab on meat chicken  (Read 2522 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Scab on meat chicken
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:14 pm »
Hi all
We are plucking our hubbards after despatching them a week ago. We have found a scab on the chest of one of them. Is it safe to still eat do you think or should we bin it. It's a scab that almost looks like a  bumblefoot scab.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Scab on meat chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:53:33 pm »
Maybe the result of a bramble scratch or a scrape from a scrap with another bird. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are eating it yourself

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »
Check the underlying meat. We had a hen with a small cut on her back which had infected her whole leg. I wouldn't want to eat her.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »
I would check underlying meat and maybe if unsure cut our surrounding area but if you are unsure at all don't eat it. How did you get on with the turkeys?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:37 am »
I'd guess it's a breast blister if it is right on the keel.  Unsightly but harmless, like most scabby bits, as long as there is no underlying infection.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:07:36 am »
Cheers all. Hey Andrew, turkeys were fab, all between 8 and 11 kilos! Looking forward to tucking in tomorrow!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:17:16 am »
Hi, as per  Templelands reply this sounds like a blister on the breast bone and is harmless.Hubbard's and other large meat birds are prone to this it comes from resting there immense weight all on this point on the keel of the breast.
For this reason Hubbard's shouldn't have any perches or anything resembling a perch that they can rest on such as a door frame to a hut.
I keep a thick layer of shavings on the flaw of my ones hut,and I just sprinkle a fresh layer over the top every day,this has stopped this problem.

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS