Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: red currant recipes please!  (Read 4516 times)

Christine B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Haute Vienne, France
red currant recipes please!
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:23:37 am »
With our French house we have 'inherited' dozend of fruit trees and bushes.  At the moment the red currants are ripening and we must have several kilos of them!

I can't ear to waste good food so any recipes for these beautiful berries will be much appreciated.  I don't think I'd use that many jars of redcurrant jelly and we're not that keen on it anyway!  Any other idea?

Chris
Chris and Dave

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: red currant recipes please!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:02:16 pm »
I'd freeze all you can't process.

For cake:
make sweet short crust, pre bake
stiffen 5 egg whites with 200 g sugar, gently add 100 g ground hazelnuts or almonds, add 500 g redcurrants or mixed red and black (yum), bake for 35 -40 minutes on 180C

Sauce for fish, like salmon or trout
bring  a few handfuls of redcurrants with a few tablespoons of sugar (and salt to taste) to the boil, once soft, pass trough a sieve

:&>

Ginny B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:13 am »
How about redcurrant wine ? ... I don't have a recipe but am sure I've seen one somewhere ... perhaps google it ?

Ginny

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:36 pm »
My mum pops handfuls in Jam.  Apparently it helped the strawberry jam set a treat (we always have trouble with it setting) and the colour is awesom.  She has also added to raspberry or loganberry jam.

Or a chutney to mature for christmas? Sorbet?  Certainly agree with freezing and processing as and when you can or have ideas.
 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS