Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI straws  (Read 2261 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
AI straws
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:08 am »
After several months of searching and speaking with our vet (who has little/no experience of goats) we're now looking into AI for Daisy. There are no local billys and we are remote so the only other alternative is to go down the AI route.
What experiences have others that have gone for this option had and does anyone have any ideas where we can get the straws (Saanen preferably) in the North of Scotland?

all help & advice very welcome  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: AI straws
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:00:52 pm »
I don't know how many goats you have to get in kid, but maybe it's time to get a boy of your own? If you get in touch with some saanen (pure or BS?) breeders now they may be able to keep a nice male kid entire for you?
Re AI:I have done laprascopic AI this year on one of my GG's and so far she is holding. But you need to be fairly close to one of the Innovis Centres, and the closest to you is probably Edinburgh. The success rate for normal AI can be quite low, but it all depends if you have an experienced goat inseminator nearby. The easiest must be to sponge the goat and then inject PMSG, to ensure that she is well and proper in season. Goat semen has to be stored at very ow temperatures, so unless you have your own liquid Nitrogen tank it would be difficult to get straws to you and store them.
 It can become quite expensive too, so unless you are keen on a specific male (for pedigree breeding) you are probably better off to buy your own male.
How far up north are you?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »
only 1 to put in kid this year and really would prefer not to have a billy of our own, will keep searching:)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:08:03 am »
My suggestion is that you contact Innovis. They can send you semen in a dry shipper via courier  a day or two your doe ovulates. The straws will keep in the dry shipper for around a week.
It is an expensive business though, It will cost you around 60 - 90 for shipping and handling, 25 per straw, and then you need the AI gun etc. which will set you back another 90.00 or so. 

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:40:00 am »
thanks for that Joseph, it will be worth it for Daisy's sake, she gets everyone wound up when she's in season, there's nothing worse than a horny 'horned' goat in season  :goat:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:34:06 am »
Hello!  :wave:

Have you been in touch with Sylvia Mearns at Kingswell, Aberdeen? She has British Saanen males. If your goats are not CAE tested, then Hamish Campbell near Perth normally has a untested billy.

Beth

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:17:30 pm »
no but I will thanks Beth  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS