Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This rain is driving me mad!!!  (Read 8159 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
This rain is driving me mad!!!
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:28:29 am »
I feel so sorry for all the folk badly affected by the heavy rain and floods.

It's still raining here and it's driving me mad. I can't sleep at all - hence the 2.26am post.

At least 1/3 of our grazing is under water; one hen house must be close to flooding (no idea what I'm going to do with the chooks  :-\ and it's just BLOODY MISERABLE.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: This rain is driving me mad!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:31:40 am »
Couldn't agree with you more, I too can't sleep because of the noise on velux windows. However I am up high so squelchy ground rather that flooding
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:18 am »
It must be devasting for those flooded out and so near christmas too.
We have been mopping out the garage but the rest of the place is ok. We live on a fairly steep slope, for which I often complain, but now I am grateful as the rain just runs on down. But its sooo b*&^%y miserable out there.
Is it ever going to stop? :gloomy:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:57:10 am »
It's awful, absolutely torrential again with added gales today. Bought gravel yesterday to try and help with chook run drainage. Even the covered area is wet  :-\

Really feel for you folk who have livestock. I imagine the grazing areas must be a nightmare. Then the worry with outbuildings in these gales.    :bouquet:

Hope that people's  homes are not flooded    :fc:

Bionic, cross posted  :eyelashes: sorry to hear about your garage   :hug:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:59:06 am by Mammyshaz »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:14:37 am »
It's wild here - never seen it like this. Mud all over the car park bit behind the house - no idea where it came from (water is gone now). And now muddy paw prints all over my desk and keyboard - thanks to cat having been outside this morning! This is getting a bit too close for my liking...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:11:38 am »
We've wet in places we've never seen it sit before, but thankfully live in an area that can cope with a lot of wet.  There are fields where you worry about livestock getting stranded though, and I'm nearly out of dryish ground to put hay out for the ponies - who are needing it as all their grass is either under water or sodden, yellow and unnutritious.

I know how lucky we are to just have wet sodden fields and quite a few lakes on the roads, and feel for those who are far worse off  :bouquet:

Today the forecast for us is not more rain but quite a bit of wind, which is great, as the wind will help to dry the ground. 

Gales started around 5am, by 7:20am the porkers were squealing like it was the end of the world.  (If they'd done that yesterday I'd have been proper spooked!  :D)  Not used to having a draught playing across them, let alone buckets flying around inside the byre, they said, crossly.   ::)  Then thought they may as well carry on screaming, even though I'd battened the hatches, in case I was going to give them their breakfast.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
I know how lucky we are to just have wet sodden fields and quite a few lakes on the roads, and feel for those who are far worse off  :bouquet:

Today the forecast for us is not more rain but quite a bit of wind, which is great, as the wind will help to dry the ground. 

You are so right...

I can hear the sea roaring from the house - never had that before, either! Might take a walk down there when there's a bit more light.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:02:06 am »
Torrential rain, sodden fields, driveway is just a river of slurry, wind trying to rip us off the hill, just seen a chicken blown off it's feet , all the other animals are inside now . Total missery, so sorry for the folk with flooded houses for Christmas.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:32:04 am »
Just come back from some "recon"...

Neighbours are all out cleaning the street - covered in red mud. (This soil has come from an area behind our street, which used to be a gentle hill, and has been flattened on top to build more houses - which of course leaves a steep rise, just waiting for erosion... When will planners learn?) I've shovelled soil off my end of the street; but the others have got hoses out and are washing it all down the drains - Argh! I didn't want to say anything - after all, I'm still the new girl on the block - but I really, really don't think it's a good idea to clog up the drains with even more soil than has gone down there already, with more rain forecast... Ah well. Maybe they'll do more street washing tomorrow.  :-\

Fire engine has gone out - Stonehaven (just up the road from here) is on the national news again, houses evacuated etc. River (normally a little burn) is deep red with soil. Lots of people out with cameras to take photos of flooded industrial area; they say last time it was flooded 11 years ago. And I've never seen the sea so angry here.

But personally I've got nothing to complain about. I consider myself lucky.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:00 am »
serious flooding down here, shelterbox are helping out in st austell. must be bad.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 10:56:22 am »
Isn't it unusual that it's so wide spread this time? The entire UK seems to be hit!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:36 am »
It's windy here but the sun's peeping through. The fields are awash and the ditches are full almost to the top so there's nowhere for it to run to. Not much rain forecast for the next five days though,  :fc:

Real sympathy for those getting it bad;  :fc: for a quick improvement.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:56:49 am »
It has been horrid   :-\ I was awake part of the night too from the noise of the wind wuthering round the corner of the house where my bedroom is.

I really feel for the folk who have been flooded - and got to be thankful, for all my whinging about mud, that that's all I'm having to deal with.

Today is just mizzling and less windy, so that's better.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
paddocks under water, its hard getting the ponies out even for a short time. Feel so much for all those poor people who have their houses flooded.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
I can't imagine how you guys in the badly hit areas are coping. Big  :hug: to you.  We've had our share of rain here in East Anglia but nothing compared to elsewhere.   It is windy but bright and sunny today and I have taken the opportunity to extend the paddocks to let the pigs have some new grazing and give the weaners the option of a non mud/puddle zone.
I am truly thanking my lucky stars that we have the opportunity to do so.
Watching Countryfile the other day and seeing how one farmer was coping the floods was a real eye opener, absolutely desperate.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS