Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More cute Jersey calf pics  (Read 6644 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
More cute Jersey calf pics
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:02 am »
Promised some when she was dry - here they are  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: More cute Jersey calf pics
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:02:14 am »
Aw sally,just adorable. She has the most beautiful eyes,  The boys cannot believe how small she is next to mum   :D

Edited to ask:- Is Kitty her name?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:06:29 am by Mammyshaz »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:01:07 am »
She's gorgeous  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:22:03 am »
I'm almost sure she's going to be Kitty - I'm just a little concerned that when I call them in from the field, Kitty and Katy will sound too similar...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:47:31 am »
Absolutely adorable, congratulations. Just had Dexter twin heifers which I love to bits but must admit your little Jersey heifer takes some beating......I want one  :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:16 am »
Its just as well I don't have the room otherwise I could see one of those coming my way. She is lovely  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
What a darling !

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
Its just as well I don't have the room otherwise I could see one of those coming my way. She is lovely
Ditto - she is gorgeous  :love:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
Super looking wee heifer  :thumbsup:
She's just got the prettiest face  :love: :love: :love:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »
Really lovely Sally  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 07:46:45 pm »
Aww she is lovely  :love:. Looking forward to when my Jerseys have babies  ;D

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
very cute- had to join in with mine!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:14:39 am »
Ah, bless!  She looks a real sweetheart, Captain.  She's part British Blue?

Does she have a name?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 09:06:28 pm »
He's British blue indeed, mum is Jersey x fresian. He's awesome, named valentine by my little girl, shortened to Vinnie when it's just me and his Lordship. A bit worried though as his balls haven't fallen off yet even though he was ringed 3 weeks ago. Thoughts?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:04 am »
Yeah, Vinnie's a better name for a bull calf!  :D  (I can talk, I had a buck rabbit called Lulu. ::))

Lambs' nuts take more than 3 weeks to fall off, don't they?  More like 5 or 6?  And a bull calf's wee sack is a bit larger than a lamb's - I take it he won't stand still for you to have a good look and make sure the ring's still there.

If there has been a problem and the ring hasn't worked, you can use the burdizzo up to 3 months old.  If you haven't burdizzoed before, definitely get someone who knows what they're doing to show you and help you - if you do it right it doesn't hurt them and works, but it's really easy to not do it right and either cause quite a bit of pain and/or end up with a bull.

Otherwise, castration by the vet is very quick and painless at the time of cutting; they can be a bit miserable for a couple of days afterwards but it is only that - a bit sore for a couple of days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS