Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blight resistant seed potatoes Fife  (Read 3495 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
blight resistant seed potatoes Fife
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »
I'm planning the tatties and we do need blight resistant varieties after the previous years' disasters.
S4S on here are selling 25 kg bags of Cara (chipping/roasting).This is way too much for us, anyone want to go halves or thirds (including delivery)?
I'm also looking into Sarpo (waxy) and Alan Romans seems to trade them on-line only through T&M. As he's in Kettlebridge we could just go there - does anyone know if that's possible?
 :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: blight resistant seed potatoes Fife
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »
I tried most of the Sarpo varieties starting when they first were available here, though I was dissapointed in the eating qualities and never bought any of them twice.

I have grown Toluca for 3 years now and am pleased with the growing and cooking/eating qualities, though I doubt they would crop as well as Cara.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:28:26 pm »
I did a trial for garden organic with Sarpos many years ago. True that they are not great croppers but anything is better than blight and that's what they did not get. Is Toluca floury or waxy and where do you get it?  :&>

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »
Blight isnt always guaranteed every year - you may get lucky - I would choose a potato for flavour and spray with bordeaux mixture if blight was imminent.  You can get blightwarnings emailed to you.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
I did a trial for garden organic with Sarpos many years ago. True that they are not great croppers but anything is better than blight and that's what they did not get. Is Toluca floury or waxy and where do you get it?  :&>

It was originally from Alan Romans as he sold out to T & M, this year I am trying Tuckers Seeds, though so far no sign of my potato order even though it went in October last year, so I can give no feedback other than they had a good selection online.

As I prefer a waxy potato, and am not generally keen on the high dry matter types I would guess it was waxy.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »
we had it for about 10 years now every year and yes, I do get the warnings. I would like a bit less extra stress and work for now. I don't remember anything negative on the taste of Sarpo. We love Pink Fir Apple but they have absoutely no chance here, and the tiny tubers I got when I had to tend to them early were a nightmare to clean. I just give in and try to be sensible  :&>

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:55 pm »
One year I grew Milva - supposedly blight resistant - next to Pink Fir Apple - supposedly blight susceptible. Guess what: Milva got blight first, and quite badly... The year before they had done well (in a different bed, of course) - but the cows in the next field got at them. They liked them just as much as I did. I don't know whether that year was just exceptional re blight?!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:17 pm »
We tried some sarpo a couple of years back. They didn't eat well and although they were blight "resistant" they still got it albeit a couple of weeks later than the other spuds.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:46:02 am »
We tried sarpo mira last year    and they were the last to get blight but got it nonetheless   and the crop we did get was really poor :(

Looked for first time yesterday  and something called Albert Bartlett 'osprey' has appeared on the shelves.....anyone tried these?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:13 am »
 :wave:

We are sticking to Cara this year.  If we loose some, ah well, but they do make great cooking potatoes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS