Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted: Prick eared rabbit  (Read 4591 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Wanted: Prick eared rabbit
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
When I got my rabbit she had just come from somewhere where her friend had died,
That was a year ago but I have thinking about it lately and she must be lonely!

So looking for a castrated male rabbit to introduce to her, as I'm
Wondering if girls would fight.. I don't know much about rabbits so
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have looked on preloved but they are all lop eared rabbits or giant rabbits, Darcy is a small, silky black prick eared rabbit, although she turns brown tipped in the summer.

She lives in my feed stable and is very friendly, she comes to call and loves digging amongst my straw and taking to people whenever they come in and out.

I'm near Reading, north hampshire/Berkshire border

Many thanks :)

deepinthewoods

Re: Wanted: Prick eared rabbit
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »
colliewoman should be able to help you, maybe send her a pm??

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »
Oooooooh bunnies!!!!!

Though not always needed I always recommend getting the does spayed too to prevent fighting and uterine cancer (claims 85% female rabbits before the age of 5)
I don't have any neutered boys here needing homes at the moment, I am knee deep in females ::) It's been raining lots and little precious doesn't want to look after the bunny in the rain so they all end up here ::)
Give me a wee while and I'll see what I can find....
In the meantime I believe the RWAF will pay for the cost of neutering your rabbit so you have a better chance at bonding a pair though you do have to obtain your second bun from a recognised rescue to do so....

BRB!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:52:05 pm »
K
I found a group of buns including a neutered netherland dwarf male in Cambridge. They may split them?
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107068858/4-rabbits.html

Found 4 6 month old uncastrated himi x lionheads to go in pairs in Kent (they are just old enough to get castrated now)
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107058502/rabbits-free-to-good-homes.html

A lonely neutered lad free to a good home in Canterbury :(
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106805614/free-to-good-home.html

I know none are on your doorstep but If you get in contact I can probably help organise a bunny run with the help of my rescue connections :thumbsup:

It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:04:05 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman :)

Will look at the links when I get a spare mo later on :), I have no idea about the history of my rabbit, I was given her as she was neglected and very thin and her friend had died, how can you tell if a rabbit hasnt or has been spayed?

I dont want a dwarf bunny or a lionhead bunny, too small and umm too hairy! lol

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »
Ahhhhh.... Your post Lady Grey sent my head spinning. I'm allergic to rabbit now but I remember a time as a child when we had a friendly bun like yours that used to come to the gate when we came home from school.  Your little one sounds lovely.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:38:28 pm »
Thanks Colliewoman :)

Will look at the links when I get a spare mo later on :) , I have no idea about the history of my rabbit, I was given her as she was neglected and very thin and her friend had died, how can you tell if a rabbit hasnt or has been spayed?

I dont want a dwarf bunny or a lionhead bunny, too small and umm too hairy! lol

Given her past I will put money on odds of not spayed!

Does she ever pounce/growl/pull fur?
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:21:21 am »
Yes she growls and stamps and pulls out her belly fur to make nests!?

So yes she may not be spayed...

Stewartshill

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 03:58:15 pm »
Can put you in touch with a chap near Swindon who is letting some very nice Dalmatian Rex rabbits go at the moment. Females can stay together no problem, I have two stables with 20 in each, all happily getting along, plenty of straw and an odd upturned bale to let them get out of the way works fine. Males cannot run together unless castrated. Does will pull fur out to make nests irespective of nuetered or not. there is no sure fire way of telling ) except putting with a buck _ lol which you dont want. Dalmatians are around 7 lbs in weight, white with either black spots or in tri colours orange and black spots ( other colours are available, but that is what this guy has ) hope this helps.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 11:58:22 pm »
Yes she growls and stamps and pulls out her belly fur to make nests!?

So yes she may not be spayed...

No she's not spayed then,I didn't think she would have been TBH! I have NEVER had a single female carry on hormonal behaviour once spayed. True it takes about 6 weeks for the hormones to die down but they stop the growling and nesting within that time, rarely a week or 2 longer.
Be careful about bringing in a new female unless both are spayed. It is possible for them to get along, but more likely they will fight. Especially as your bun considers it her territory already.
If it were me, I would look into getting her done then adopt a neutered male (allowing the 6 weeks for hormones to fade) then bond them.
Neutered male/female mixes are by far the easiest ;) :thumbsup:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:58 pm »
Thankyou Colliewoman :)

will look into how much it would be to get her spayed, I wish I could ask her if she was actually lonely or not, I dont want to get her a "friend" and she prefered it on her own  :thinking:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
Thankyou Colliewoman :)

will look into how much it would be to get her spayed, I wish I could ask her if she was actually lonely or not, I dont want to get her a "friend" and she prefered it on her own  :thinking:

Although I have had a few buns who were buggers to bond, I have never ever had a rabbit that wasn't happier with company of their own kind.

In general I find pairs to be the easiest, and have several of these. I also have a trio who took precisely
15 seconds to bond ::)
I also have 2 single does, and neither of them are happy, so tomorrow I am attempting to bond 2 girls :fc: :fc:
My biggest success was a group of 17 does and 1 buck ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS