Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paddock advice  (Read 5238 times)

Baggins

• Joined Jun 2009
Paddock advice
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:13 pm »
Hello everyone

I'm new to this game ... just acquired 2 acres split up into approximately 2 x 1 acre fields. I am getting 2 Kune Kune pigs and some ducks and would ideally like to give over an entire paddock for them to roam and live together. However, all the advice points towards splitting it up to allow for a "sacrifice" paddock ... is this really necessary for such an area with only 2 relatively small pigs? Would love to know what you think .....

Thanks in advance

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Paddock advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:49:10 pm »
Hello, I am also new to pig keeping!  I have a 1 3/4 acre field split into 2 unequal halves.  In the past we have used electric fencing split the field into further sections.  The smaller section has our 3 hen houses - the pigs are not allowed in this section as we don't want them breaking into the hen houses and stealing the food, knocking over water e.t.c.

The pigs have the larger section, which we decided not to split up and see what damage the pigs would do.  They do roam all over the field and certain areas have been 'ploughed', but so far it hasn't been too bad.  We plan to slaughter them in October and rest the field until Spring.

I guess for you it depends on what your land is like - drainage, soil type e.t.c.  We are taking the gamble to not strip grazing, but I may come to regret the plan if we have a wet summer.  If that the case the electric fencing will have to go up.  Suck it and see is my long winded suggestion!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:50 pm »
Your question has posed more questions..... Are you keeping them as pets or for slaughter?
                                                           Do you have a movable ark for them or a permanent house/shed/barn?
                                                           Do you want to use the unused paddock for any other animals?
                                                           Two small Kune Kunes would struggle to keep down 1 acre of grass,let alone 2,so are you prepared to keep on top of the
                                                           grass cutting?

My advice would be to get a couple of sheep as well and rotate everyone through the two paddocks every six months or so.You could divide each paddock into half again,which would make more manageble and healthier in the long run.Also get a few chickens to roam free to help keep the pests down and section off a small area where the chickens and ducks can be fed without the pigs getting to it. You'd also have enough space to be able to grow veg/food to over-winter animals.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Baggins

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:41 pm »
Hello all,

It's 50:50 at the moment so here's some more info ...

The pigs will be pets and their wooden ark will be moveable. The unused paddock (the other 1-acre) will likely be used for neighbour's horse-grazing. I already have chickens in a completely separate area and don't really want sheep.

Any more opinions gratefully received before I go to the fencing people on Saturday ....

Thanks ;-)

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:37:43 pm »
just a word of advise with the horses/ pigs scenario. It takes an exceptional horse who will live alongside pigs. Most horses have a totally irational fear of pigs and will not go within a fairly substantial distance of them. They hate the smell, the sound and the  actual sight of them can totally send a horse into total panic! We have got a case at the moment of not being able to get 2 of our ponies past an old pig farm which closed down 2 1/2 yrs ago due to the pigstys still remaining and the ponies being able to smell the remnants of the pigs!! Stupid I know and I am sure you will now get many replies saying that people have kept the two together (indeed we have with the pigs being well out of sight and earshot) but just a word of warning. Good luck with it all though it sounds great!  :)
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS