Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do I help out??  (Read 2815 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
When do I help out??
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:32:58 pm »
Hi all

My little chicks have been pecking a way all day to meet there new world but may I ask when (and if at all) do I give them a helping hand??

Many thanks
Maddox

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: When do I help out??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
Leave them alone, they can take 24 hrs! my last one did!

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:42:21 pm »
My hands are tied firmly around my back...lol

Maddox x

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:17:33 pm »
when you think they are stuck. but be really careful any blood and leave them for a good few hours and try again. its better to have a chick that died after you have helped than finding them dead and fully formed. But don't rush to interfer they tend to manage.

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:05:18 am »
Thanks paul, cant get anywhere near em though mum is sitting tight and not happy if i even stick my head in to see whats going on...lol

xx

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:15 am »
thats the trouble with doing it the natural way survival of the strongest. i would let nature run its course.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:04 pm »
I was once told that if they are not strong enough to get out of the shell then they are not strong enough to survive and will be more trouble than they are worth. But I bet loads of you are going to tell me just how many you have helped out and how wrong I am!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:18 am »
I wouldn't help, its easy to help and let the poor thing bleed to death as it wasn't quite ready.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:30 am »
I know it is very anxious times but if you feel it has struggled long enough and is not going to be able to get out on it's own go in and help. I have halped many ducklings out and never lost any once they start chipping. I hope all goes well for you.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:26:58 am »
the only way that you should help out is if your doing it in an incubator then its worth the risk but to keep disturbing the broody hen could end up with you losing a full batch. if there is any blood then its not ready. if they have cracked the shell and after 24 hours they are not out then give them a hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS