Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 12v Battery operated Web Cams for Lambing  (Read 4389 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
12v Battery operated Web Cams for Lambing
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
Hello All
First Post, so I hope I haven't missed the subject elsewhere
I have a BT Wi Fi in the house and a barn for Lambing about 180 metres from the House
I would like to set up a web cam for lambing. I have a windmill set up providing LED lights via two 12v car batteries. The barn is in line of sight from the house
 One of the products from Agri-Cams seems to need mains power for their bespoke system
Has anyone successfully installed anything that would save a ten times a day hike down and up from the barn, during the season?
Thanks
Bob Ayers

oigoi

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: 12v Battery operated Web Cams for Lambing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:09:03 pm »
I would probably use a wireless long range cctv camera like this:

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/long-range-wireless-transmitter-500-meters-1.2Ghz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:05:37 am »
I bought countless wireless systems and none of them cut the mustard - ended up using wired cameras.  I use a transformer but the wired cameras I have will run off 9 - 12 volts.

Yeah the wiring looks a bit of a mess strung up between old bits and bobs - but when you got clear sound it means the world.  Nothing worst than listening on a TV when your snoozing and the sound is all fuzzy and drifting in and out.

I spose when the wireless ones are set up ok they probably work fine - but i found it hard getting line of sight and weather interuptions as well as having to relocate phones and other wireless devices out the area.

Either way you will find most webcams/cams wireless and wired are normally 12 volts or there abouts.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:36:08 am »
I have a barn 90mts away and use two wireless cameras. Altough they work off the mains they go through small transformers to around 12volt. I have the reciever/recorder unit connected to my Router and from here i can view either on the TV or any LapTop. Ive used them through two lambing Seasons and they have been brilliant. They still won't fully replace all visits to the barn because you will always get the odd Ewe who will find a hiding place out of view and sure enough she will be the difficult one.
Im hoping before next years lambing to put up another two cameras to cover just about all the barn.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS