Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice re border collie pup please  (Read 3122 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Advice re border collie pup please
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:50:14 am »
To all you shepherds and shepherdesses out there...

Firstly, wow, my new border collie, Julie, is amazing, I've had many others before but never anything like this,

She, at 9 weeks old, has the stare, she has the low down stalk followed by the explosion of speed, she instinctively goes around whatever she is focused on and she is a born organiser, she collects things  (slippers, socks, dogs etc) and puts them in corners  ;D

So, I have access to sheep but I'm not taking her anywhere near til 6months old, then if its still there will start her off at 8 months

Having not had a bc with such obvious traits before at such a young age, is there anything, other than doing the bonding thing I should be doing, or not doing, I.e balls etc to not ruin her?

Thanks in advance

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Advice re border collie pup please
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:54:22 am »
She's a baby - any training you do with her at this stage should be fun.  As far as I can see you're doing it right so far.  I only roll balls for my gundogs to teach them not to chase.  They are not allowed to retrieve them until much later when they are rabbit skin covered and used as an easy to carry dummy and thrown rather than rolled along the ground.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »
Congratulations, Julie sounds as though she will give you years of enjoyment and camaraderie.

Get yourself a copy of Derek Scrimgeour's 'Talking Sheepdogs' book.  He tells you what early training to do to be laying the foundations for later on.  It's a lovely read and will give you the confidence that you're not doing the wrong things.

You sound as though you've worked sheepdogs on sheep before?  So you'll know that 'lie down' to a working collie is not 'hit the deck where you are', it relates to the sheep so cannot be taught in the absence of the sheep and being focused on them.  And that you do not want the dog to turn its head to look at you whenever it hears your voice.  And that 'That'll do' is your 'Come Here' command and is the only command you would use in a situation when you want the dog to stop - or, preferably, not start - chasing something.

Personally I don't think that limited play with balls or other toys will ruin a collie dog.  But I wouldn't play any games which involve tugging or shaking - a 'ragger' is completely out, for instance.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »
Sally, yes I've worked dogs before but max was a started dog when I got him.

I'm using 'that'll do' as my recall command and at the moment avoiding lie down as a command, just using down instead, is it ok for my other dogs to play ragging a sock between them or should I stop that?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:56 am »
I guess if Julie isn't interested in the others ragging a sock then it's not a problem.  But if she shows a desire to join in, best to get rid.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
I started Rascal from around 3 months. learning him to go away and down. the word leave which I used for the chickens, ponies and the 2 lambs we had. At around 8 months I became aware that he was not seeing as he should and the vet confirmed he has collie eye. such a clever boy but his eyes mean he will never be a working dog.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS