Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our pregnant mamma is not looking good :(  (Read 18385 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Our pregnant mamma is not looking good :(
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:04 am »
Her gorgeouship is just fine but still no sign of littlies nor milk, so we are still playing the waiting game.

She actually got up and had a nice walk around yesterday - which we are over the moon about.  She is eating and drinking well....talking of which, is there any harm in giving her the odd guinness? She seemed to do so well on the home brew the other day  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 09:12:36 am »
Mrs Snoodles, I can't help with the guiness but I wish she would hurry up. We are all waiting.  ;D :pig:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:21 am »
mrs s i have to smile at your farrowing updates (not getting at you) you always seem to have its happening ......................................... and a huge waiting game, mine seem boring in comparison take the last litter she had her feed went back to the nest moved it about again we got in had our meal by the time we went back 3 had been born.

do you now her service date / due date ?

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 09:39:35 am »
Given the weather today my moneys on anytime......giving her the odd guiness won't hurt her so long as you don't give her hangover quantities (pigs with hangovers are not good!)........ :fc:
Mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:10 am »
Kja.....as our boar is such an easy going chap and is a doddle to move, we decided to put him in with all of the large blacks at the same time and keep him there for 5 weeks. Farrowing dates are a bit of an unknown.    Having said this, we saw him mounting on the of gilts on the first and second day so we are pretty sure that at the least one of them is due now. It must be this huge girl....she is due around the 18th.  I swear I saw some milk the other day.....so we MUST!!! be close.

Next time, I'm taking sows to the boar, one by one.  I have already brought a special diary to keep dates  ;)

Thanks Mandy, Guinness for my girl later on.  She had a sackful of lettuce leaves this morning which she wasn't overly impressed with. Reckon a pint will be much more appreciated   :thumbsup:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:12 am »
Excuse my ignorance-why are you giving a pig guinness?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:41 am »
Excuse my ignorance-why are you giving a pig guinness?
It has a calming effect and is known to be a food group all on its own :-J
Heavily pregnant pigs can get very constipated so giving guiness/stout in their feed will also help them stay regular (goes straight thro my OH......too much info maybe ;D )
Mandy :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:31 pm »
I suppose an hot bath and a hot curry are out of the question :innocent:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »
Kja.....as our boar is such an easy going chap and is a doddle to move, we decided to put him in with all of the large blacks at the same time and keep him there for 5 weeks. Farrowing dates are a bit of an unknown.    Having said this, we saw him mounting on the of gilts on the first and second day so we are pretty sure that at the least one of them is due now. It must be this huge girl....she is due around the 18th.  I swear I saw some milk the other day.....so we MUST!!! be close.

Next time, I'm taking sows to the boar, one by one.  I have already brought a special diary to keep dates  ;)

Thanks Mandy, Guinness for my girl later on.  She had a sackful of lettuce leaves this morning which she wasn't overly impressed with. Reckon a pint will be much more appreciated   :thumbsup:

right i see where your coming from now.

i keep records of all their cycles, service dates etc. service dates to fit in with shows & july sept farrowings makes life so easy in the long run.

hope she delivers soon else you will be sleeping through chritmas at this rate
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »
Definitely keep a note of the dates. I keep notes of when ours are in season so I know when to put them to the boar, note when they've been served and then keep an eye out for the next season three weeks later. I then know pretty much exactly when they're due to farrow. Wouldn't dream of letting our Monty get into more than one sow at a time. He'd love it but one sow farrowing at a time is plenty.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 09:57:01 am »
We keep dates too. Unfortunately our sows don't always keep the same dates  ;)
We have 2 sows that have always been served on the same day, and one always farrows 2-3 days later  ::)
Well, we know that now, so know when to expect them. But we have had a gilt farrow nearly a week early, and one caught us out completely: had seen her and Big Biff "at it" but she farrowed nearly 2 weeks after the predicted date, so not even another season's worth.
But keeping a diary definitely helps!

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:59 am »
No change and there's a break in the weather, so the little chap is getting his trip to the zoo :).

She's been fed and watered, in a lovely dry warm place and is perfectly content so we have decided to take a step back. There's nothing more I can do for her and life has to go on....!     ....big sigh.......

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
Surely there must be some news by now??

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
I hope all is well.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »
Thanks....we are still waiting. Think she's making the most of her pampering. 
 She's enjoyed her Xmas pressure this morning, lots of lovely veg.  Our other LB in pig gilt is now a bit slow getting up.  I'm going to contact the breeder over the next few days to ask what the dam was like farrowing.  also beginning to wonder whether about whether it was a good choice to put two big litter bloodlines together.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS