Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay rack space for Shetland cattle  (Read 3015 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Hay rack space for Shetland cattle
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:46 am »
I'm just organising bringing the cattle in for a couple of months.

How much hay rack space should I allow for each cow? They are horned, but not very big 450kg probably.

At the moment, the five of them access a 10ft sheep hay rack, but they can move round it as it's in the field.

Any tips welcome.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Hay rack space for Shetland cattle
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
Well - if you are feeding ad lib, it doesn't matter so much... Or are you restricting quantity?

(My old text book says 70-75 cm/animal for each place, but with ad lib you don't need a place for each...)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:56:22 am »
No, it won't be ad lib or they would be the size of houses  ::)

I've just found the Soil Association standards, which cover floor space but not trough space, I don't think. Printed them off so I'll see what they say.

75cm in old money is 2 1/2 feet - sounds about right.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:35:39 am »
When planning cattle feeders, it's 18" min per beast.  And yours are horned so probably a good idea to allow a little more.  2-and-a-half feet sounds fine  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:51 am »
Hi

We put a round feed ring in the shed in the winter - the sort for a large round bale. The cattle are fed hay ad-lib & they don't get too fat  - at the moment the 15 are getting through a bale every 2-3 days, though they are still taking themselves outside. They only stay in when it's too thick with snow to see any green stuff.

They don't all feed at once, there is a 'eating order', but everyone does get their fill.

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »
Hi

We put a round feed ring in the shed in the winter - the sort for a large round bale. The cattle are fed hay ad-lib & they don't get too fat  - at the moment the 15 are getting through a bale every 2-3 days, though they are still taking themselves outside. They only stay in when it's too thick with snow to see any green stuff.

They don't all feed at once, there is a 'eating order', but everyone does get their fill.

Sue

Hmm, I don't have room for a round bale feeder in our current set up or any way to handle a round bale. Maybe next year  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS