Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bedding issue  (Read 7989 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Bedding issue
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »
I wote a reply and it clashed with yours I think Scotsgirl, so here it is second version:

The straw in our goat shed is wet too as it doesn't absorb very well so I used a bale of straw each per goat as a raised bed for them, so at least their feet are dry at night and when they lie on them during the day.  Once the floor straw is getting a bit too smelly and wet I clear it out then snip the strings on one of the raised beds and spread it out over the floor, then replaced the raised bed bale for whichever goat it is I've nicked from. 

I used to deep litter but it's a real job getting it all out.  I find that one bale spread around in our wee shed isn't too much to clear out or get rid of once a month. And it's something I can live with which is always a plus and my OH is always far to busy dealing with other nightmares than to deal with my own.  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »
Brilliant idea Goosepimple.  I will get some more bales and try that.  Adult Boers don't seem so bothered about being up high although my little AN loves her chair.  Used to be a raised dog bed but now seems popular with the goats.

Hoping to get time to concentrate on my girlies over the holidays. They are such timewasters, they love cuddles and scratches.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:04 pm »
There is an allotment very near us but they already have a supplier of well rotted manure.  Mine needs to go before it reaches that stage.

Goat shed, BTW, is an old garden shed with a wooden floor.  I drilled one inch diameter holes at intervals to help with the drainage.  Once it gives out, I will have concrete laid.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »
Forgot to ask if you all keep yours shut in now?  I shut mine in for a few nights as they seemed a bit wary of their new quarters but now seem to take themselves in at night and when wet but I do leave them with quarter acre to wander around.  Worried though it will get churned up before kidding and lambing but feel mean shutting them up all the time.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »
All of our goats live in and only get out when we let them out , nine times out of ten when we put them out they start creating to get back in within an hour and if they are in the big field they jump the wall and go back in themselves
Graham

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:53 pm »
Mamby Pambies Sokel  ::) , get them off the computer and out to play.

Scotsgirl, quite a few of us just leave the door to their shed open and let them free range - they will go in at night anyway and cosy down and they will stay there when it's rainy.  Ours are 50/50 in and out.  It's unlikely they will churn your place up before spring.  The entrance area does get churned though - I've put down that plastic web mesh you get on a roll from the garden centre - type of stuff you might put around tree trunks or as temp fencing - the small gauge 2cm-ish size grid type is best as they can't get their wee hooves through it - it stops the in/out area from getting too muddy - you don't want mud plugs and consequently foot scald and it has worked really well for our girls (and they don't eat it).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »
Mine only have a yard and they come and go as they please. I never shut the shed door.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
I shut the byre door at night but during the day they come and go as they please - either into the yard or right up the ghyll depending on the weather. The chooks live in there during bad weather in the day too.

Mine have sleeping benches, made out of planks and 4x4, which look like very heavy and agricultural coffee tables  :D They both prefer them, and when there are kids, the little ones often make a nest underneath  :D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 07:56:48 am »
Mine are in and out during the day but sometimes I do close them in when the rain is coming horizontaly from the east and straight into their shed as nobody wants to be out then anyway and to stop the bedding getting wet - could be one of those days today!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:08 pm »
I turn mine out with the pony if the weather is ok. None of them like being out in the rain. They all share a stable , in the barn and it is only when it is horrendous weather, I shut the door.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS