Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fluke drench  (Read 3784 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Fluke drench
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:15:12 am »
According to Tim Tynes book I should be giving my sheep a fluke drench.  I haven't done anything like this before so are there any recommendations on a drench?
Tips on doing it would also be gratefully received.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Fluke drench
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »
I think you can either have a wormer combined with fluker (if that's what you call it  ??? ) or just fluker. Mine were done in Sept. time with a dual wormer/fluker ( think it was Combinex) and again with a purely fluke drench before going to the tup in November ...... as they didn't need worming again. Our ground is wet in places so thought it best to do the fluke again rather than have to handle them when just served and tup in there to complicate things.

Our vet advises us about what is best to use and will also dispense the small quantities needed for our little flock. Think different fluke drenches catch the fluke at different stages of life cycle. Vet said the Nov. fluker he gave us would catch anything missed by the Combinex ..... to do with age of parasite. Just given as the worming drench.

Sure someone with more know-how will be along soon.  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »
thanks ITH that was useful info.  I had spoken to my vet when I first got the girls earlier this year. Luckily Karen had just wormed them when I got them. Vets advice then was not to worm again but to get a poo sample done in the spring.
I will ring them tomorrow and ask about fluke drench.
Sally

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:26 pm »
Hi Sally,

Yep you're right ITH, different drugs target at different stages. The two main ones are Triclabendazole based drugs and closantel based drugs (although there are others). Triclabendazole kills the very young fluke, so it is a better drug to go with as long as you don't have resistant fluke on your land. There are cases of triclabendazole resistance in the UK but without knowing your particular fluke it is still a better drug than the closantel based ones which doesn't kill the young fluke.

If they aren't needing a new dose of wormer then go with just a flukicide. If this is your first time fluking I'd suggest you do a FEC before you dose them and then one 3 weeks after. Your vet will be able to do a faecal egg count reduction test on this, which will tell you if your flukicide is working.

Hope that helps

Dans   :excited: because she can finally contribute on something :-D

9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »
I'm trying to get hold of flukicide for my four sheep but the vet hasn't got any and apparently there's a national shortage because of the awful weather we've had this year. We don't have many sheep farmers round our way so I'm having to work my way through them to find someone who can spare me four doses!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:20 pm »
Smee I only need 5 doses too so will be in a similar position  :(
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS