Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good quality kibble  (Read 9793 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Good quality kibble
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
By the ongoing symptoms I'd recommend a vet visit as there could be a number of medical causes. As FF advises , take a poo sample, and check worming is fully uptodate. What breed is the pup? There are breed specific medical causes forloose stools which can be treated.

O

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:53 pm »
I've just re-read through this and this poor fellow has been on 5 different kibbles plus chicken and rice in 3 weeks!!!! (Beta, Royal Canin, Arden Grange, Wainwrights, and JW)

Please just stick to ONE food until he gets better, and speak to your vet tomorrow fro advice. 

He may well have got an infection from the horse much but you said his poos had cleared up, so I'd be more likely to think it's the diet change that's causing the problem.

Young puppies should never be changed as rapidly as this, they are babies.  No offence intended, just trying to help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:32:37 am »
Agree, Annie! Also if you have a dog with a sensitive belly and can afford it, Royal Canin seems to be the best that I know of. Or a bones and raw food diet, but stick to one or the other.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:17 pm »
I've just re-read through this and this poor fellow has been on 5 different kibbles plus chicken and rice in 3 weeks!!!! (Beta, Royal Canin, Arden Grange, Wainwrights, and JW)

No offence taken, I know it sounds bad reading it like that!  But, I have not actually got through all those foods in that time space  :-\ .  He's still been mainly on RC up until two days ago, and was trying very small additions of the other foods in with the RC over a period of time.  My reason for trying to change was to get him off the very expensive RC, as I have six dogs I can't afford the high price of some of these kibbles.  As I said he is staying on JW no matter what unless long term use dictates otherwise.

Incidentally, you can use RC immediately without any period of gradually weaning them onto it - why is this?
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:40 pm »
Don't believe it - marketing ploy imho
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

What I don't understand then, is why you can put a dog or pup onto RC without any weaning as they say - my vet said it was perfectly ok to do this - but not other kibble?  What is it in the RC that other kibble doesn't have, which would clear up an upset tum?  Which it did with Woody ...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 04:11:03 pm »
I wouldn't change diet quickly with ANY kibble.  My pups go on a good quality one, although I admit I wouldn't pay RC p[rices even if they DO have a  Brittany on their bags, but it is soaked to oblivion to start with and gradually fed firmer as they get their teeth. They get one meal a day to start with, then 2, then three till they are up to four meals a day at 4 weeks. That is what I call weaning.  RC is no different from other good quality kibbles if you check the packaging.

I was at a Seminar on Sunday and the local RC rep, talking on nutrition, said that one of the pros of RC was good packaging - I asked her what influence that had on the quality of the food and she mumbled and jumbled - 'it protects the food better' was all she could come up with.  High profile flashy bags and extensive advertising increases prices not the quality imho

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 03:25:07 pm »

What I don't understand then, is why you can put a dog or pup onto RC without any weaning as they say - my vet said it was perfectly ok to do this - but not other kibble?  What is it in the RC that other kibble doesn't have, which would clear up an upset tum?  Which it did with Woody ...

Does your vet sell RC by any chance? :innocent: :innocent:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
Does your vet sell RC by any chance? :innocent: :innocent:

Umm how did you guess ..  :thinking:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »
I have never switched them over gradually and never have problems. I do have one with a bit of a sensitive stomach at the moment but even he is fine on a quick switch.

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 11:55:28 am »
I think you may have been lucky, Helen.  Most breeders and vets will say to change gradually.  I personally have never chanced changing quickly, even with adults, but then neither have I switched foods much.  I have found a brand that suits my breed and my pocket, and have stuck to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS