Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First timer  (Read 5054 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
First timer
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:37:11 pm »
Hello

I am about to start keeping chickens.  We will be getting 4 bantem hens.  Any advice would be good.
Thanks

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
Bobby, welcome. If you have read some of the basics and have a house, food and a secure area for them go and buy your chooks. The best way to learn is to buy them and learn as you go. I am new to chickens myself, have always had ducks, but now think the chooks are brilliant. We all have to learn as we go, so that's my advice for you. I now have 7 and they have all settled in very well, they share their paddock with 7 Pygmy Goats and 2 rabbits and we have no problems. Buy them and enjoy them.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:36:53 pm »
 hi and welcome. Can I ask why you are getting bantams? They are not very good layers and they get broody quite a bit. Why not try some Isa Warrens or R.I.Rs

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »
Thanks for replying - I am totally new - someone at work mentioned bantoms - I don't understand the difference - or the terminology, just want a few chooks that will lay eggs
Bobby

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:29 pm »
You do get some beautiful Bantoms, they are ofcourse much smaller. I have Rhode Island red's and Isa Warrens. I had a RIR Bantam and she was a great wee thing but sadly she is one that the fox got last week.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:10:07 pm »
 You could look in the market place forum. There are black minorcans etc, all of which are good layers

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:24 pm »
There are two types of bantams - true bantams and derivative. True bantams are breeds in their own right; derivatives are small versions of large fowl breeds. So a Rhode Island Red bantam is just a small version of the large fowl.

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:08 pm »
Thanks everyone. I am really quite excited.  The coop will be delivered tomorrow.  How long before the chickens start to lay eggs

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:10 pm »
It varies, sometimes I hear it can take a week or two. The majority of mine have all laid the very next day. Enjoy your time with them they are great to have around. Have you never fancied ducks, they too are brilliant to have around? Have you decided what type of chickens you are getting?

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
It varies, sometimes I hear it can take a week or two. The majority of mine have all laid the very next day. Enjoy your time with them they are great to have around. Have you never fancied ducks, they too are brilliant to have around? Have you decided what type of chickens you are getting?

To be honest - my som wants to get me some for fathers day - the idea grew from there - he is getting the chickens - and I am lashing out for everything else- we really are starting from scratch- thanks for the suport and advice

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:57:21 pm »
I collected 19 hens yesterday morning and had an egg laid in the 10 min journey home!  We then had a further 14 and have loads again today!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:57 am »
Hi Bobby, what a wonderful Fathers' Day present.  One which is not just decorative but will supply you with wonderful fresh eggs, and perhaps later even Sunday dinners.

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:20:50 pm »
Sorry for all the questions - how long do the eggs stay fresh for and what do you all use to date them
Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:21:48 pm »
3 weeks and a pencil  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:02 pm »
I have nine bantams, well, including silkies, plus 5 chicks hatched a few weeks back.  I think 5 of the bantams are now broody - so definitely not many eggs off those lot!!  Not too bothered as I have a free range flock of hens too.  Once broody, they go off lay for weeks.  If you are wanting the hens for eggs, I would maybe think of getting hybrid hens, which lay well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS