Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this bad weather  (Read 3368 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
this bad weather
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »
Hi i am in a bit of dilema about the care of my ewes !!! i have five in lamb texel X due to lamb end of feb .all my fields are almost under water .i have an open barn three sides would it be possible to over winter the ewes in the barn or am i askin for trouble ?? My horses are being kept in most of the time same problem in there fields .many thanx

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: this bad weather
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:02:54 pm »
As the shelter/barn is well ventilated then if you have feed / forage for them, and the fields are awful, then they are probably better off in, I would go for it.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:46 pm »
The weather during the coming week looks quite straightforward, with changeable conditions continuing. Temperatures in the north will often be close to the seasonal average, and in the south it will be on the mild side at times. That means the risk of some snow over the Scottish mountains, but elsewhere a mixture of showers, rain and drier days. By next weekend it could become very mild for a time as  a long fetch south westerly flow develops across the country. If that happens there will be a very sharp temperature gradient probably just to the east of the UK for a time, and it looks like a change in the pattern across Europe could develop fairly quickly with low pressure moving into Scandinavia. That would leave the UK on the cold side of the low pressure  with the gate opening up for cold arctic air to move down into Scotland and possibly further south. Would this happen in time for Christmas and deliver a festive surprise? The GFS chart below shows the -5C 850hPa (black dotted line on the plot) line still to the north and west of the UK by the start of Christmas day. By the end of the day the computer model shows it pushing south and crossing the whole of the UK. If that happened things would become very interesting! So no call from me yet on the weather prospects for Christmas day. We’ll have to wait a while longer for there to be enough confidence in how things will play out. So do the right thing and get them in the barn by  next week end .       wether outlook

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:  Ooooooo ...... a white Christmas !!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »
As the shelter/barn is well ventilated then if you have feed / forage for them, and the fields are awful, then they are probably better off in, I would go for it.

good advice, my ram lambs are coming in this week

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »
Thanx for replys they are now in lookin a lot happier now ,at least theres more room in the feild shelter for the ram and his mate my 19 yo horse who does not like being inside.thanx again and a merry christmas to you all.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
All my sheep (like all the othjers in the village) are in from 1st snow till it goes in March.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:10:22 pm »
Thanx for replys they are now in lookin a lot happier now ,at least theres more room in the feild shelter for the ram and his mate my 19 yo horse who does not like being inside.thanx again and a merry christmas to you all.
can we have a Xmas pic of the horse and ram in their shelter? :-DDD

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS