Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoof trim?  (Read 4387 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Hoof trim?
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
I think I need to check the feet of my sheep, no lameness but clearly something that needs doing, can someone just talk me through the best way of trimming hooves? have the trimmers and the spray (if needed). My sheep come to me happy for a biscuit, then what :thinking:
I want to get it right.............for them and for me and the OH
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Hoof trim?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
Ask for this for xmas:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lameness-Sheep-Agnes-C-Winter/dp/1861267215
Excellent book with everything you need to know about feet with lots of photos.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
Ooo, I just found this: Sheep Lameness  (she goes on a bit but fast forward towards the later part to see some actual feet :))
And her work here: [size=78%]http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/lifesci/research/greengroup/farmersandvets/footrotinsheep/[/size]

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »
The current thinking in vetinary circles is not to trim feet unless the sheep goes lame.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
I have taken Steve Hant's advice and after having owned this lot of ewes over a year have had zero lameness with zero foot trimming :thumbsup:
I check their feet as I was paranoid I couldn't simply do nothing to them, but every time I check even with this awful weather I just find lovely neat feet :love:

The last flock I had I trimmed every 4 months and spent the days in between  treating the odd one or 2 for sore feet.
I'm sold on this method! Obviously if their feet needed trimming I would but they are spot on without! Hurrah!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:25 pm »
I was told by a neighbouring farmer to only treat if they were lame for more than a couple of days. He felt that more intervention meant the possibility of introducing infection. He said that if you felt it necessary to trim then only take off a very small amount.  Had our Soay for nearly 3 years and  :fc:  no lame sheep yet and no trimming. Hope I'm doing the right thing  :fc: .
Video clip was useful  :thumbsup:  foobar, thank you. Some of those feet look awful :o

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32:05 am »
very good video! a few of my sheep were limping so I trimmed and sprayed their feet the other day and now not a limp in sight!

I turned some over this morning and I was extremely surprised about the differences in the breeds feet.

Shetland's feet were rock hard and extremely neat, cant believe how solid they actually are!! Im liking this breed more and more each day! would love to get some more :)

Ryeland crosses feet soft and peely, Lleyns feet good and hard but not as good as shetlands

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

I turned some over this morning and I was extremely surprised about the differences in the breeds feet.

Oh yes, If you really want to see some "interesting" feet, find a Merino flock in a wet country. They can look like Persian slippers in weeks...  ::)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »
Thanks so much everyone, don't know now what I would do without this site :excited: :excited: :excited:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS