Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats? More trouble than they're worth?  (Read 24596 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Goats? More trouble than they're worth?
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:59:32 am »
Several people now have suggested I get a goat to help me keep my grass trim but in my limited experience I seem to remember they eat ANYTHING which is likely to include my fruit and veg, my yorkie and most likely something poisonous which will no doubt end up costing a fortune. I'm aware that I can either tether or fence around said goat but I'm also aware that they're rather cunning escape artists.
In summary, while I quite like the idea of a walking waste disposal which also keeps the grass short, provides organic fertiliser and maybe even a bit of milk I'm not sure I could take it if my much-loved orchard or veg patch were to fall foul of a hungry goat...

rustyme

Re: Goats? More trouble than they're worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:04:52 am »
lol ...I think you more or less answered your own question there ? ;D ;D
It all depends on how much work you want to put into it, I had goats years ago and most of the time they were fine , but then they would get into somewhere I didn't want them to go and OMG what a pain. They can clear a veggie plot in seconds...well it seems that way ..lol.

Russ

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:49 am »
has anyone eaten goat meat?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:12 am »
maybe you could hire one out for people who needs a patch clear lol
(and no I am not voluntary)

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
yes ... it was nice ....I couldn't tell the difference between it and lamb, apart from maybe being a bit firmer meat , but that may have been down to just cooking ? Others who have eaten say it is like lamb but different ? All I can remember is that I quite liked it ,(it is 28+ years since I tasted it !!!), we used to rear surplus goats for food so there was quite a bit of meat about. There is the the meat goat, the Boar I think it is called ? Much more cost effective to rear for meat .

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:17 pm »
might be an idea for someone looking for a small grazing animal for meat then!  :)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:32:19 pm »
To keep the grass short you'd be better off with  sheep as goats are browsers rather than grazers. Certain varieties of sheep can produce milk as well!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:19 pm »
We've had our sheep on the lawn and they have made a superb job of trimming the grass and they haven't made a mess, despite the wet weather. They have, of course, also fertilised the lawn, so you have to be REAL careful when hanging out the washing!

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:01:49 am »
Hey, Goats are pickers so they do not munch all the grass only the grass they want ot eat which isn't always what you have to provide and it maybe over the fence but don't worry they will get to it some how or other

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:43 pm »
maybe you could hire one out for people who needs a patch clear lol
(and no I am not voluntary)

some one has beaten me to it check this out
http://www.goat-for-it.co.uk/

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Plusquellec Brittany . nr Callac . 22160
    • highstwest
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
Goats are superb improvers of pasture . Depending on the breed they are not great grass eaters , trimming off the tops mainly . They do enjoy deep rooted weeds as these are high in minerails . They are generaly browsers , clearing brambles with a vengance , but also trees which they will tear the bark off . Goat meat is excellent , profer it a little older rather than younger , it makes the best curries . Goats themselves do require a lot of attention , fencing rarley keeps them in in they wish to escape . They do seem to have wicked senses of humour and I am sure sit back and laugh having exasperated there owners by there ability to out wit all attmepts of keeping them in or out depending on the cirumstances .  Phsycology perhaps similair to  cats . Goat kids at play are incredible to watch and mix very well with young children . 
I can make the earth move for you

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:00:46 am »
Goats aren't THAT bad at escaping, or wrecking fences. Our one little field is grazed 24 hours a day in the summer (the girls in the daytime and the boys overnight) and aside from tiny kids sometimes wriggling out at the spring of each year, none of them escape. We don't have special fencing either, 4foot high sheep fencing and a bit of wooden rail fencing on the garden side and we have no electric fence or anything else.

That said if they did get out, they like nothing better than eating veggies and roses. But equally they love the weeds too, I pulled out loads of sticky willies this year, and fed them back to the goats (turns it into better compost that way!).

If you do want trimmers, perhaps sheep would be better- I'm thinking of getting a couple of orphan lambs in the spring to put into our "orchard" (posh name for it) because I know they won't bark the fruit trees, but they'll keep the grass down.

robert693

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
I have three goats and find that even though I have given them the opportunity to escape many times, they prefer the safety of the pasture and barn where they spend most of their time. They will wriggle into tight places to get at food, in my case feed for a llama, if they know where it is kept. I have found that goats have been one of the easiest animals to keep. They are more selective in what they eat as opposed to what many have been led to believe. I have tried to feed them apples, squash and other produce and they would not eat it. Grass and weeds seem to be what they prefer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS