Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose fat?  (Read 5017 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Goose fat?
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »
My brother asked me where does all the goose fat in the supermarkets come from as there never seems to be goose for sale?
This did make me wonder, I suppose there may be the odd goose in a shop but not lots of products like goose sausage or pie etc, so, where does it all come from and what about the rest of the bird?

Oh, I do not mean what part of the body but where are all the geese farmed and where is the meat sold?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Goose fat?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:20:51 am »
I am guessing here.
Animals and birds can only put on so much meat, when fattening you are 'fat'tening especially geese. Sometimes there can be a lot of fat on a bird that can collect in masses and I suppose when trimming all these commercial geese this gets rendered into goose fat in posh jars. Our geese dont have a lot of fat at all as I dont fatten them but they have just as much meat.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:27 am »
I am wondering where all the goose meat products go in order to get so much fat thats in all the supermarkets...I never see goose in meat form in the same shops.......I suppose that commercial breeders sell them to resturants!!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:07 am »
Hi there are plenty of geese sold in supper markets mainly in the frozen section along with the turkeys.
When you gut any large poultry,especially intensively reared pellet fed birds,there is a lot of fat in the body cavity that you can literally pull out in hand fulls like lard.Sometimes it is so thick you have to fight through it to get to the internal organs.
I believe it is this fat that is then rendered down.

Graham.
Graham.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:11:29 am »
I never really delve into the big freezers in supermarkets....I shall take a look!! thanks all..... :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »
It probably comes from France. Loads of geese products here.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:08 pm »
More likely China or Hungary - think of all those Goose Down Duvets !
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:12 pm »
Side (waste?) product of Foie gras production.... sorry if anyone is offended... and confit du canard in french supermarlets in jars/tins.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS