Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stollen  (Read 2596 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Stollen
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »
1 kg flour (plain)
200 g sugar
400 g sultanas
almond extract
vanilla sugar
75 g chopped almonds
a little lemon rind and juice
pinch salt
75 fresh yeast
1/4 ltr milk
100 g chopped citron peel
500 g unsalted butter (plus extra for crust)
icing sugar

This is made into dough the usual way (butter needs to be softened).

Form into one or two Stollen shapes, leave to rise again and bake at medium heat.

Immediately after baking, generously spread with soft butter and sprinkle lots of icing sugar on top, until it resembles snow.

Now this is the original recipe as I have it from my aunt (hence a bit vague in places!). She used to live in east Germany; and because they had problems getting all the ingredients (like sultanas, peel etc), we used to send a lot of that to them in November, and always got our Stollen back from them for Christmas (my family lived in the west). The most famous Stollen is, of course, Dresdner Stollen - and that is a protected name, so if you see any sold here under that name and made in the UK, you know it's a fake. In fact, the otherwise recommendable book "Bread Matters" has a recipe for "Dresden Stollen" (which is grammatically incorrect, and maybe he can therefore get away with using that term), that is just a nice wholemeal fruitloaf with marzipan...

I tend to adjust the recipe a bit; use more almonds, no salt, dried yeast (because it's so difficult to get fresh here), slightly less butter (the more butter, the more the Stollen tends to spread when baking - it's fine if you use 500 g in total, including the crust). Since citron peel is difficult to get here, too, mixed peel would do. Definitely no marzipan, no cherries, no spice! The main flavour of Stollen should be butter and almonds. And for whatever reason, the flavour is better in a large loaf; it seems to need "critical mass" to develop.

Maybe Anke has a different family recipe? Would be interesting to compare notes!

To create the typical Stollen shape you roll it out and fold part of it over the rest, so that a bit is left open - the loaf is effectively thinner along on side than the other.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Stollen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
Thanks Ina. Im going to try it during the week. I actually have most of the ingredients which is amazing in itself! It does sound lush.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:05:46 pm »
Ina, I am surprised that there is no marzipan as every stollen you buy here is loaded with the stuff which is why I don't eat it. This sounds much nicer and I am very tempted to try it.
Just one query over the amount of fresh yeast. Is it really 75g as that sounds a lot? The bread I make only has 15g in it.  If you use dried yeast how much of that do you put in?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:16:25 pm »
Ina, I am surprised that there is no marzipan as every stollen you buy here is loaded with the stuff which is why I don't eat it. This sounds much nicer and I am very tempted to try it.
Just one query over the amount of fresh yeast. Is it really 75g as that sounds a lot? The bread I make only has 15g in it.  If you use dried yeast how much of that do you put in?
thanks
Sally

I think they make the marzipan Stollen mainly for export to the UK - as the UK (allegedly) want marzipan in their Christmas cakes! You can get it in Germany, too - but it's only one of the sub-varieties on offer. There's poppyseed Stollen, Quark Stollen, hazelnut Stollen... All these are not traditional. (Btw, I think they make wines like Liebfraumilch also mainly for the UK... Can't think of anybody in Germany who would drink sweet stuff like that! But - again allegedly - the British want it. And then they all tell me there's only sweet wines in Germany, and no reds...)

Yes, 75g is correct. The butter content means it's a lot more difficult to get it to rise. Can't remember how much dried yeast I used last time. I usually make just half the quantity - would probably use three teaspoons for that.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »
I'll post my recipe later, need to go milking now... And yes it is East German too... and NO marcipan!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »
I'm going to try it with gluten free flour.  Might need to do it in a tin though as gluten free stuff doesn't keep its shape.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:26:11 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20656264

Mine's not quite as big as  that....

Just imagine - they cut it and find it's not baked through properly!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS